Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple News+ introduces Quartiles, a new original spelling game, and Offline Mode for subscribers. Learn more >

when writing email in Mail, lines of type will overwrite other lines!

short emails are ok, but longer ones will show a line superimposed on another line (one can't even make out what is in the above and below lines!)... sometimes a line from the bottom of my email will be thrown onto a line at the beginning or elsewhere in my email. i can only "delete" the overwriting by actually highlighting the offending overwriting, then it disappears - in the best of cases. but sometimes i have to backspace more than once to delete the offending line and sometimes delete part of the original email i was writing. very annoying. don't know what to do. I have Sonoma 14.3 and Mail Version 16.0 (3774.400.31). Has anyone else had any similar problem, and if so, how have you solved this problem?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.3

Posted on May 3, 2024 5:49 PM

2 replies

May 4, 2024 9:25 AM in response to karen4123

karen4123 wrote:

short emails are ok, but longer ones will show a line superimposed on another line (one can't even make out what is in the above and below lines!)... sometimes a line from the bottom of my email will be thrown onto a line at the beginning or elsewhere in my email. i can only "delete" the overwriting by actually highlighting the offending overwriting, then it disappears - in the best of cases. but sometimes i have to backspace more than once to delete the offending line and sometimes delete part of the original email i was writing. very annoying. don't know what to do. I have Sonoma 14.3 and Mail Version 16.0 (3774.400.31). Has anyone else had any similar problem, and if so, how have you solved this problem?
Thank you!

The current stable release of Sonoma including bug fixes, security updates is macOS 14.4.1 - I would start there

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

No resolve To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

unplug all non-essential peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

10 page thread here—

14.3 Mail.app - Corrupted/Garbled Text When Composing Messages

14.3 Mail.app - Corrupted/Garbled Text Wh… - Apple Community

May 4, 2024 6:10 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you! Downloading the latest OS version as I type this. I hope this is enough to sort out this bug in my email! Otherwise, I'll continue with the safeboot. By the way, I didn't get any notification that there was a new version to my OS. Where on my MBP do I ask Apple to send me notifications when there are new versions? (I don't want them to be upgraded automatically.) The notification used to appear automatically, then I'd go to the drop down menu under the Apple logo and I could see a "1" next to upgrades line or similar. But there's no such line now.

Thanks!

when writing email in Mail, lines of type will overwrite other lines!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.