Forgotten MacBook password model A1181

Hello, I have an old MackBlack, I have forgotten the Password, and I have tried Command R options with the Power button but it doesn't respond, I get the regular page for password entering. is there any Smart guys around you guys, who can give me a tip, how to resolve this problem.

Posted on May 3, 2024 7:13 PM

1 reply

May 3, 2024 7:35 PM in response to nikoloz177

That method will not work on a Mac that old. Ideally you should have that Mac's original, grey, System Install DVD that came with it when it was new. It, along with the Applications Install DVD must accompany those Macs from cradle to grave. Boot from the System Install DVD and select Terminal from its Utilities menu to reset its login password using the command

resetpassword

Can't find those discs? Try the following.

• Power on or restart your Mac.
  • At the chime or grey screen, hold and S on your keyboard to enter single-user mode.
  • At the prompt, type
fsck -fy

... and press Return. This is a simple check for file system integrity and is optional. It will take a moment or two to complete. Wait for it to finish before proceeding.

Type the following exactly as written, one line at a time, each line followed by the return key. There is a single space preceding the first "slash" ( / ) character in each line:

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

When you restart the machine, it will take you through the entire setup and registration process all over again. When you do so, create a brand new account with Admin privileges.

This will not help you log into the original User Account whose password you forgot, but perhaps it will get you a little closer to accessing its contents.

Forgotten MacBook password model A1181

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.