Get a list of unique rows in a column

In Apple Numbers, I have a sheet called VOCAB LIST. In Column A, it has the following rows:

Dog
Dog
Horse Rider
Cat Club - Furry Pals
Dog
Fox Home & Wolf Den
Frog Lilly Pad: A green home
Dog
Bear
Dog
Ape Mountain: Hidden in beauty & nature

On a separate tab (in the same spreadsheet), I want to create a formula that takes all the rows from "VOCAB LIST" column A, but omits the duplicates.

E.g. so I end up with the following rows on the seperate tab:

Dog
Horse Rider
Cat Club - Furry Pals
Fox Home & Wolf Den
Frog Lilly Pad: A green home
Bear
Ape Mountain: Hidden in beauty & nature

Is it possible to do this? I thought I could use the unique function. And so tried this: =UNIQUE(VOCAB LIST::Table 1::A) but it comes up with an error symbol (although the symbol doesn't state what's wrong.

Any ideas? Thanks!

ENVIRONMENT:

Numbers 13.1

MacOs 12.7.3

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on May 4, 2024 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2024 4:08 PM

big_smile wrote:

Is it possible to do this? I thought I could use the unique function.

My version of Numbers doesn't have a UNIQUE function. Does yours?

A filter might be the easiest way to do what you want to do.

After applying the Is Distinct filter, select the visible cells, command-c to copy, click once in the a of an existing table you have set up to receive the values, and command-v to paste.

SG

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2024 4:08 PM in response to big_smile

big_smile wrote:

Is it possible to do this? I thought I could use the unique function.

My version of Numbers doesn't have a UNIQUE function. Does yours?

A filter might be the easiest way to do what you want to do.

After applying the Is Distinct filter, select the visible cells, command-c to copy, click once in the a of an existing table you have set up to receive the values, and command-v to paste.

SG

May 4, 2024 6:07 PM in response to big_smile

Excel's UNIQUE function would be handy but Numbers does not have it (at least not yet). If you need a formula for Numbers, here is a set of formulas.

Formulas inthe second table are:

A2 =IFERROR(TEXTBETWEEN(B2,"|","|"),"")

Fill down to complete the column

B2 ="|"&TEXTJOIN("|",TRUE,Table 1::A)&"|"

B3 =SUBSTITUTE(B2,"|"&A2,"")

Fill down from B3

Hide column B

It is up to you to ensure you have enough rows to list all the unique items. If there is at least one blank row at the bottom, you have them all.

May 7, 2024 4:48 AM in response to big_smile

big_smile wrote:

Thanks, this is super helpful! I tried to re-create what you posted, but it doesn't seem to work the same for me.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Yes.

Look at the formulas I posted and what cells they go in and look at the screenshot I posted vs the ones you posted. There is an obvious difference in your table vs mine. Nowhere did I do anything with column C. My table does not even have a column C.

Get a list of unique rows in a column

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.