Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Systems Data Macbook Pro M3

Been only 3 weeks, spent my all college on-campus earnings (2150 USD) on Macbook Pro M3 Pro, used windows my whole life. Was really excited for the huge investment but getting the biggest dissapointment. The system data just keeps getting over 400 GB for nothing. In 3 weeks, it happened for the 4th time. The first time, screen recording file in the library folder was 200 gb, God knows why. Only recorded two short videos by then. Deleted that folder. Second time, was running a ML model on Colab notebook but on local machine, suddenly the session crashed saying RAM is full. My RAM is 18 gb and the model wasn't that large, but anyway, I don't know how, the system data also got full. But this time, there wasn't any filled folder like screen recording or such, system data was just randomly over 400. Restarted, got fixed. Assuming full RAM also took all the storage, which I do not know how. The next 2 times, there was nothing, no model running, no heavy task, the system data was just 400 gb out of nowhere. Restarting fixed again. But spending 2150 dollar on the greatest brand named laptop after switching from windows and facing the weirdest issue possible, why? How to solve it? Or is there any way at all? I know about checking library folders, but as I said, that was only the first time, when one folder, screen recording, took over the whole space. It is very dissapointing. Would really appreciate any solution.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.3

Posted on May 4, 2024 8:10 PM

2 replies

May 5, 2024 12:00 PM in response to andey25

andey25 wrote:

The system data just keeps getting over 400 GB for nothing. In 3 weeks, it happened for the 4th time....

System data used to be labeled as "Other" ...

Try something like OmniDiskSweeper for a GUI to get a good look at itemized file size and location:

OmniDiskSweeper http://www.omnigroup.com/more

or if you use the Terminal.app you can see itemized details— list the items in the home folder with the sizes, (this including invisible items) copy & paste:

sudo du -h -d 1 ~/

if no insight or resolve for all your disappointment keep in mind—

you have a limited 14 days for an exchange or refund for any reason—see Returns & Refunds Order status

Only items that have been purchased directly from Apple, either online or at an Apple Retail Store

Returns & Refunds - Shopping Help - Apple

Systems Data Macbook Pro M3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.