Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Thunderbolt display needs to be "prompted" into life with Windows Laptop, help!

Hi all,

I have an old Apple THUNDERBOLT display 27", the 2560*1440 one. It is plugged into a Late '12 Mac Mini (old now I know yes, both of them) with the white MagSafe/Thunderbolt (mini DP shape) tail that comes off the monitor. It seemed to work for a while but no longer did, the display did not detect the Mac. This persisted and I could no longer use the Thunderbolt display, I verified Mac Mini working via HDMI and mini DP protocol (via the Thunderbolt/Mini DP port and into a mini DP monitor, perfect, I also did an NVRAM reset) I also tried my Mid '11 MacBook Pro 13" but that didn't revive it either. "Dead TB monitor" I thought.

On a whim, I plugged in my old ThinkPad with thunderbolt via the DP connector that I used to run the display with when it was still my daily driver and it worked like nothing ever happened! Now the Mac works with it again. Nearly every time I shut the Mac down for a day or more I have to almost "jump start" the Display by plugging in the ThinkPad running Windows, then it works with both of my old Macs. Glad I didn't cut into the Thunderbolt tail looking for broken wires! I had the display half apart and couldn't see anything wrong at all. The tail is stripped of a little of its white outer sheath, revealing the braided outer shield, but as soon as it gets going I can manipulate it at any angle and speed and the signal is perfect! Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 5, 2024 7:35 AM

3 replies

May 7, 2024 2:20 AM in response to tbirdvet

Read my question again. The thunderbolt tail is fine, it can be bent and manipulated at any speed or angle and works flawlessly until the display is turned off for the night. It is as if the thunderbolt negotiation isn't going on when plugged into the mac when the display is first powered. If the TB2 cables weren't €60 I'd have bought one, I have been hoping not to pull the trigger on one!

Thanks for the help.

Thunderbolt display needs to be "prompted" into life with Windows Laptop, help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.