Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How to wipe old Macs running 10.7.5 & 10.5.8?

I want to recycle (@Staples) an old MacBook running 10.7.5 and PB G4 running 10.5.8. Target disk mode doesn’t work because, I guess, it shows a floating Firewire icon on the screen. I don’t have any FW cables and the Mac Mini which would do the wiping has no FW inputs anyway. Tried connecting via direct USB cable and Target disk mode and the target drive was not seen in that setup.

Same with the PB G4. I do not have OS installers for those laptops.

Can wipe these over wifi or direct connect with Ethernet cable? If so how?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on May 5, 2024 11:11 AM

4 replies

May 5, 2024 2:26 PM in response to Marc Stergionis1

Hi,

You could try to open the computers in order to remove the hard drives. This may be more or less difficult depending on the exact models. The now external hard drives could either be destroyed or connected to a universal USB bare drive adapter (the adapter at https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NV2SPATA/ is just one example; similar devices may be available locally as well). The bare drive adapter would then allow the hard drives to be read and/or erased when connected to another Mac (or PC, with the appropriate software).

How to wipe old Macs running 10.7.5 & 10.5.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.