Apple has ceased custom ringtone support in Sonoma

I have called Apple support, been bumped up to tier 2 technicians twice on this issue, and even they don't know how to fix this, except to suggest that Apple wants us to purchase ringtones the App store from now on, and have taken away the freedom for us to be able to make our own.

Yes, I've followed every suggestion on Google, YouTube, YouNameIt, and no matter what I do, I cannot get an m4r file transferred into the right place from my Mac Mini to my iPhone 7 and have it show up as a ringtone. It simply doesn't work anymore.

[Edited by Moderator]

Mac mini, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 5, 2024 4:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2024 8:21 AM

No, Apple has not blocked adding ringtones in Sonoma. I easily added my own following the steps I outlined in this topic.

Using .m4r files for ringtones? - Apple Community

No third party software needed at all. The only catch may be how old your .m4r file is. When I tried to copy my ringtone from a 6s to an SE 3rd gen, it wouldn't go. So I opened the .m4r in WavePad (which you can use for free), to create a new .m4r. That one installed no problem.

And just to make sure some point release of Sonoma hasn't caused something, I did it again just now. I exported my ringtone to a new name, dropped it onto the phone's icon (an iPhone 14 Pro) and the ringtone immediately appeared as a choice.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2024 8:21 AM in response to jcarruth19

No, Apple has not blocked adding ringtones in Sonoma. I easily added my own following the steps I outlined in this topic.

Using .m4r files for ringtones? - Apple Community

No third party software needed at all. The only catch may be how old your .m4r file is. When I tried to copy my ringtone from a 6s to an SE 3rd gen, it wouldn't go. So I opened the .m4r in WavePad (which you can use for free), to create a new .m4r. That one installed no problem.

And just to make sure some point release of Sonoma hasn't caused something, I did it again just now. I exported my ringtone to a new name, dropped it onto the phone's icon (an iPhone 14 Pro) and the ringtone immediately appeared as a choice.

May 8, 2024 2:55 AM in response to jcarruth19

How many ringtones do you have? I am not sure if there is a limit, but unless you have an inordinate amount, that is probably not what's happening.

FWIW, here is me copying a number of ringtones to my iPhone just by dragging and dropping in the Finder.

They became immediately available on the iPhone. I am using Sonoma 14.4.1. If anything changed, it is not on the Mac side. I cannot dismiss the possibility of something changed on the iOS side of things, though (my iPhone is limited to iOS 15).

May 6, 2024 9:51 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks Kurt and Luis, I investigated the issue further on my side and it seems that the list of custom ringtones is not refreshing/updating on my iPhone after dropping an .mr4 file in Finder. Deleting one of the existing custom ringtones on the iPhone forced the list to refresh and the newly dropped ringtone showed properly.

May 5, 2024 5:11 PM in response to jcarruth19

I've noticed that too. I recently tried to add a custom ringtone through Finder, it seemed to work when I dropped it on Finder but the ringtone would not show on the iPhone.

I'm currently using macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 but I'm not sure when the problem started as I don't create custom ringtone that often.

I would suggest notifying Apple of this issue: Product Feedback - Apple.

May 7, 2024 4:52 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt,

A great idea. However, before I go deleting any ringtones off my iPhone to see if this happens, how do I make sure that I have added ringtones properly to the iPhone in the first place? I am loathe to delete any of my current pre-Sonoma ringtones for fear of not being able to get them back. At the very least, I still have those.

1. I've put them in a playlist in Music as m4r files, and added them to the iPhone that way. They do show up as a playlist and I can play them, but I have no way to verify that the iPhone will recognize them as such, and then make them accessible to me as ringtone, message tones, etc.
  2. Should I try a drag and drop approach, dragging them to the iPhone and hoping they will get to the right place so they will be accessed?
  3. Please tell me how you put them on your iPhone, and then had them show up once you deleted one, so the whole list can refresh.
  4. Any idea of how many custom ringtones we're allowed? Just wondering if you've had a chance to research this yet.

Thanks for your help.

May 7, 2024 5:15 PM in response to jcarruth19

I should first mention something I incorrectly assumed folks would know without asking. And that's, you have to connect your iPhone to your Mac with its cable and have it open past the lock screen to the iPhone's desktop. Then when you open a Finder window on the Mac (Command+N), you'll see your phone listed on the sidebar. Clicking on that will present the screenshot as seen in the other topic I linked to.

1. When added that way, the iPhone assumes it's a music file, since that's where it is on the Mac. It won't place the sound file in both your Music app on the phone and in the ringtone section.
  2. Drag and drop always works for me. When added as described next, the .m4r always appears in Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Ringtone.
  3. I just have the phone connected to the Mac with a Lighting to USB cable, phone past the lock screen (you can't let the phone go back to sleep or you have to start over). I then open a Finder window, click on my phone's icon in the sidebar, then drag and drop the .m4r file directly onto the icon of the phone. I can then go into the Ringtone setting to ensure it was installed. All user added ringtones are above the line.
  4. No idea. That was purely a guess on my part when 6x6 mentioned they had to remove a ringtone before they could add a new one.

May 5, 2024 5:47 PM in response to Michael C. Blasco

Michael,

Thanks for the suggestion. iMazing costs $40. I'm a bit tapped out after all the recent Mac Mini-related expenses, such as new hubs, external SSDs, etc. My old Mac system let me create custom ringtones, and now I have to pay because why? It's a newer system, and things should be easier, not harder and more expensive. I don't think I'm following your logic here. Please advise.

May 6, 2024 6:13 AM in response to jcarruth19

jcarruth19 wrote:

My old Mac system let me create custom ringtones, and now I have to pay because why? It's a newer system, and things should be easier, not harder and more expensive. I don't think I'm following your logic here. Please advise.

No one here in this user-to-user forum would know why Apple chose to do this. But no, the fact that a system is newer doesn't mean that it will be easier or cheaper. You can submit feedback to Apple using the link you already provided.

iMazing has other uses besides adding ringtones. My primary use for it is archiving text messages to pdf, a feature that has never existed on an iPhone.

May 7, 2024 6:11 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

No one here in this user-to-user forum would know why Apple chose to do this. But no, the fact that a system is newer doesn't mean that it will be easier or cheaper. You can submit feedback to Apple using the link you already provided.

Idris,

I agree with you. But since my 99% of time on the Mac Mini since I bought it in April has been spent troubleshooting, trying to get back the simple things I've become used to on my previous Macs, now lost to me on Sonoma (and you haven't been privy to these issues because I've only posted the one issue here) so please allow to me to explain what I am experiencing so that you may have the bigger picture.

My external HDs keep dismounting every time I work on a file that is stored on one of them, I get an error message saying that my drives were not ejected properly. But I did not eject any HDs. Sonoma did that for me. After dismissing all the error notifications, I found that the drives were in fact, still mounted. Now that work is lost, and I have to start over. My workaround is to store the files on my desktop, work on them from there, and then transfer the finished files to the HDs. Wouldn't you assume that Sonoma can work with external HDs? Apparently, it does not.

One Apple forum user suggested I buy all new drives with an AC/DC adapter based hard drive. That was AFTER I had just purchased all new Western Digital SSD drives. That seems a tad extreme and expensive to me, don't you think? One would assume Sonoma would work with my existing HDs, both SSD and SATA, but Sonoma has taken that way from me.

I have spend many days on the phone with Apple support tier 2 technicians, only to find that they even don't know how to solve my issues. Apple seems to have created a system that even Apple can't help you with. It reminds me of the old joke, “Can God create a rock that’s too heavy for even God to lift?” Well, in Apple’s case, I would have to say apparently so.

I don't mind a learning curve. I've been using Macs since 1984, so I think I know a little about this. But the Somona learning curve has turned into the Myth of Sisyphus. Sisyphus is condemned to roll a rock up to the top of a mountain, only to have the rock roll back down to the bottom every time he reaches the top. The word frustration doesn't even begin to cover it. Perhaps torture by a thousand paper cuts would be a better analogy of what I am going through. As soon as one issue has been solved, 5 more show up to take its place.

Ever heard of a game called Whack-a-Mole?

Not being able to use external drives, and having to spend hours on the phone with Apple for each and every little problem that arises makes me wonder if I should have purchased the Mac Mini in the first place. I’ve turned from Mac user to full-time Mac troubleshooter. When do I get to actually enjoy and use my new Mac Mini?

Look at this way: Let's say you've just purchased the latest, greatest, and most powerful Tesla available, only to find that you must drive it only with 3 tires. You ASSUMED that you'd get a car that ran on 4 tires, only to find out that it doesn't work on 4 tires. Hey, why are you complaining? You’ve got the most powerful and fastest Tesla on the block, only to discover that you’ve you've just purchased the world's most expensive paperweight.

Learning curve aside, I made the assumption that the Mac Mini would allow me to have all the old things I'm used to on the Mac, only to find that I can only go 1 step forward, and three steps backwards. The word frustration doesn't even begin to cover it.

Yes, a newer system doesn't mean that it will be easier or cheaper. But at what point do you draw the line and say this is really too much?

Thanks for your feedback. Now that you have the bigger picture of what I am experiencing day-to-day, do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks.

May 8, 2024 2:20 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt,

Your suggestion seems easy and straightforward. Before I add a new ringtone using this method, I will first need to know how to delete a ringtone, so it can reset itself and allow the new ringtones to show up.

I am looking everywhere in the iPhone panel on my Mac Mini, and I am not seeing any ringtones, so therefore, I can't delete one of the old ones to get this method to work.

When I look at the ringtones in the Sounds and Haptics section of my iPhone, it won't let me delete any of them there either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

May 8, 2024 2:32 AM in response to jcarruth19

Kurt,

I just tried it now, and the ringtone shows up in Sounds & Haptics, and will let me select it as my new ringtone. I added a second one, and that works as well. Success, finally, or so I thought.

So, I wanted to assign one as my new ringtone, and the other as my text tone. Under text tone, NONE of the new ringtones are showing up as a text tone choice.

Sonoma giveth, and Somona taketh away.

Any ideas on how to fix this, or should I just take the win and move on?

May 8, 2024 3:18 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis,

I had 13, then I added 2 more. The two new ones I just added tonight work fine as a ringtones, but not as as a text or any other type of alert sound. Under Text Tones, I am seeing the original 13. Under ringtones, 15.

I'd be happy to delete a few if it means I could add more, but why would the new ringtones work for the phone, but not for anything else?

Also, I can't seem to be able to find a way to delete any of the ringtones. Can you show me how? I am on an iPhone 7 running OS 15.8.2

Thanks.

May 8, 2024 6:44 AM in response to jcarruth19

jcarruth19 wrote:

Luis,

I had 13, then I added 2 more. The two new ones I just added tonight work fine as a ringtones, but not as as a text or any other type of alert sound. Under Text Tones, I am seeing the original 13. Under ringtones, 15.

I'd be happy to delete a few if it means I could add more, but why would the new ringtones work for the phone, but not for anything else?

Apple made a very big change in how ring and text tones worked in iOS 17. In fact, for about a month after it was released, there was no access to custom text tones at all. Before, if you added a tone, it could be used as either a text or a ringtone. Now, those tones are segregated. I haven't tried to add any custom tones since the change so I'm not sure how you work around that. I do know that the duration limit for text tones is shorter than that for a ring tone.

Apple has ceased custom ringtone support in Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.