Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Blue dots in night photos with 15 Pro Max (10s exposure)

I’m consistently getting blue dots in any photo I take with night mode on (setting the exposure to 10s). It happens every time. Also getting red hue.. zoom in to black areas for blue dots

**This is on an iPhone 15 Pro Max IOS 17.4.1

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on May 5, 2024 7:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2024 6:34 AM

I am having the same issue with my 15 Pro. This is definitely not a lens flare, since there is no light to begin with. I tried covering the lenses and took photos with 0.5, 1X, 2X, and 3X — all had the same blue/white dots (looks like stars), except for 0.5 which contains the usual noise.

I really hope this is just a rendering (software) issue.

Looking forward for a solution from other users too.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2024 6:34 AM in response to Schwazzy15

I am having the same issue with my 15 Pro. This is definitely not a lens flare, since there is no light to begin with. I tried covering the lenses and took photos with 0.5, 1X, 2X, and 3X — all had the same blue/white dots (looks like stars), except for 0.5 which contains the usual noise.

I really hope this is just a rendering (software) issue.

Looking forward for a solution from other users too.

May 6, 2024 4:37 AM in response to lobsterghost1

The phone was kept COMPLETELY still. The subject of the photo is not what I’m asking about. It was random and of my ceiling.

There are what appears to be hundreds of small blue dots.. as far as the red light, I don’t know why it’s red. There’s nothing in the room that’s red.

I’ve taken hundreds of night photos and never seen this.

I tested it on different subjects, as well as even holding it directly into the bed and taking the picture and still had the same results.

May 5, 2024 7:59 PM in response to Schwazzy15

It's impossible to see what you're referring to and you moved the phone too much during the exposure, so it's an out of focus photo. If there are blue dots, it would lens flare which is VERY common with night mode photography. Angling your camera relative to the subject you are photographing can help to minimize and even eliminate lens flare.

Jun 14, 2024 2:41 PM in response to elias63

elias63 wrote:

Im having blue dots as well and it appears more and more dots while using 10 sec exposure in all of the lenses or camera (0.5x & 1x & 2x & 5x)
do you think its a software issue or its a a physical hardware problem ?

Without an example of what you're seeing, we can't possibly offer an educated guess. It's more likely lens flare, especially if the light is low or you are photographing scenes with lights in then and lens flare is NOT a software issue, NOR an physical hardware problem. Lens flare is normal, depending on what you're photographing.

Blue dots in night photos with 15 Pro Max (10s exposure)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.