Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Lost My iMovie Project and all Clips when Downloading

I just worked on editing a project for 2 days. I know that iMovie automatically saves projects and returned to it many times to keep working on it. When I finally completed it, I set up to download it. I had not closed down other windows and it was moving really slowly and then the screen seemed to freeze, even though I could hear it working. I stepped away and came back to a black screen like it had gone to sleep. I tried to escape and get to the main screen but could not so I rebooted it. When it restarted I lost the ENTIRE project. No movie in my project, no clips, nothing that I was working on. After searching my desktop I found a MP4 with the title and I thought I was in luck. However, it is only the first few minutes. Is it possible that I've lost everything I worked on for the past 2 days or could the raw version and the clips be somewhere on my computer ( I checked the trash on my desktop and nothing in there.)

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 6, 2024 12:01 AM

2 replies

May 6, 2024 7:50 AM in response to sashagienah

If Ian's good suggestion doesn't solve it, try retrieving your project from the iMovie Backups folder.

To get to the iMovie Backups folder,

follow this file path from the Finder menu:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/

iMovieBackups

NOTE:  If running Ventura or later, in the above

file path substitute iMovie for com.apple.iMovieApp.  So, for Ventura,

the file path would read:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/iMovie/Data/Library/Caches/

iMovieBackups

When you get there you will see a list of previous backups of your iMovie library.  Click on one dated just before your issue started.  iMovie will open in that library.   Navigate to your projects browser (where your projects are displayed as icons) and see if your projects are intact.

-- Rich

Lost My iMovie Project and all Clips when Downloading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.