Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Backing up iPhone to External Hard Drive Questions

I have a question about how an iPhone backup looks in terms of files? (Excuse my poor technological vocabulary)

So I've spent the last few days trying to make sure my iPhone 11 with 256gb (full storage) backs up properly using my Macbook Air M2 2022 (Ventura 13.4). I've followed this video and rerouted the backup to my external hard drive with no issues (other than the constant accidental unplugging of my phone after a couple hours of backing up, which meant I had to restart many times with the final complete backup taking 11 hours).

Now that the backup is complete, I was wondering if it is normal for the backup folder to have a bunch of folders (named: 00, 0a, 0b, 0c,...)?

Within those folders are a bunch of document files that open to a bunch of script.

Just confused because I had the assumption that the backup folder would allow me to view stuff like photos from my phone, but I'm realizing that is probably not the case. Would like confirmation that these folders signify a proper backup and there'd be no issues restoring the backup before I delete stuff off my phone (with the symlink still in place and external drive plugged in of course). 

Would restoring this backup also restore the photos? I think I will try to export my photos and videos onto this hard drive as files as well before deleting them (they take up the majority of my storage).

Sorry if this was all over the place and rambly, don't have advanced tech knowledge so I'm confused by some concepts!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 6, 2024 12:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2024 11:52 AM

Yes, that's how the backups look like. Here's mine:

It's not designed for the user to go inside the backup package. It for the Finder to restore to an iPhone if needed.

1 reply

Backing up iPhone to External Hard Drive Questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.