ipad pro stolen. Find My Device showing offline since 27 April

On 27th April, I left my iPad Pro M1 by mistake in the Metro / Subway. Immediately ran and found that the train had moved. However, the device was taken away by someone who later switched it off I reckon. Since that day, I have a location but the device is offline on the FindMy app. Have turned on the Mark As lost. It has the updated iPadOS. Any possible way the person can wipe it clean and start reusing without I getting any notification?

Thanks for your help.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on May 6, 2024 1:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2024 2:43 AM

Last question first...

As the Find My feature was clearly activated prior to loss, the iPad will be protected by its Activation Lock. If the iPad is reset or erased, the iPad will be rendered useless to anyone other than you.

Here is Apple’s advice for lost or stolen devices:

Locate a device in Find My on iPad - Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is lost or stolen – Apple Support

Use the Find My app to locate a lost or stolen device – Apple Support

If the Find My iPad feature was enabled prior to it being “misplaced”, then if active, you would stand a good chance of locating it. 

However, if the feature was not activated prior to being misplaced - or the iPad has been inactive or without an active network connection for more than 24 hours, the last known location may not be available - and the opportunity to use technical means to recover or remotely manage the iPad have been lost.

Nobody can gain access to your iPad without successfully entering the correct device Passcode - and for this, there are a limited number of tries before the iPad will automatically become disabled. As such a brute-force attempt to access the iPad, by guessing the correct passcode, is highly unlikely to be successful. Only if your device Passcode is known to whoever finds your iPad will any locally stored data be at risk of discovery.

iOS/iPadOS is architecturally designed to protect the owners data. 

All locally stored data is encrypted; by design, the only copy of the encryption keys necessary to access local data are held within the Secure Enclave - the device security chip. The device Passcode unlocks the Secure Enclave, which in turn releases the encryption keys to the Operating System while the device remains unlocked.

If an incorrect Passcode is repeatedly entered, the Secure Enclave automatically wiped and the device disabled - an operation that erases all stored encryption keys. This is known as a crypto-erase. Once erased, all locally stored data is permanently beyond reach and cannot be recovered.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2024 2:43 AM in response to DKMahant

Last question first...

As the Find My feature was clearly activated prior to loss, the iPad will be protected by its Activation Lock. If the iPad is reset or erased, the iPad will be rendered useless to anyone other than you.

Here is Apple’s advice for lost or stolen devices:

Locate a device in Find My on iPad - Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is lost or stolen – Apple Support

Use the Find My app to locate a lost or stolen device – Apple Support

If the Find My iPad feature was enabled prior to it being “misplaced”, then if active, you would stand a good chance of locating it. 

However, if the feature was not activated prior to being misplaced - or the iPad has been inactive or without an active network connection for more than 24 hours, the last known location may not be available - and the opportunity to use technical means to recover or remotely manage the iPad have been lost.

Nobody can gain access to your iPad without successfully entering the correct device Passcode - and for this, there are a limited number of tries before the iPad will automatically become disabled. As such a brute-force attempt to access the iPad, by guessing the correct passcode, is highly unlikely to be successful. Only if your device Passcode is known to whoever finds your iPad will any locally stored data be at risk of discovery.

iOS/iPadOS is architecturally designed to protect the owners data. 

All locally stored data is encrypted; by design, the only copy of the encryption keys necessary to access local data are held within the Secure Enclave - the device security chip. The device Passcode unlocks the Secure Enclave, which in turn releases the encryption keys to the Operating System while the device remains unlocked.

If an incorrect Passcode is repeatedly entered, the Secure Enclave automatically wiped and the device disabled - an operation that erases all stored encryption keys. This is known as a crypto-erase. Once erased, all locally stored data is permanently beyond reach and cannot be recovered.

ipad pro stolen. Find My Device showing offline since 27 April

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.