Is there a driver or PPD file available for HP Photosmart C4680 that supports color printing with macOS?

Hello. I have a HP Photosmart C4680. HP is so nice that they have decided to discontinue drivers for newer versions of macOS. The printer now relies on a generic CUPS driver that is unable to print in colour, only B/W.

I was wondering if there is any way to find a driver or PPD file that supports colour printing for this printer? The HP website does not show any drivers for the printer for macOS, making matters more complicated.

Thanks!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 24″, macOS 13.6

Posted on May 6, 2024 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2024 7:48 AM

Have you tried the Generic PostScript or Generic PCL6c drivers?

Also...

theapplecynic

macrumors newbie

HP pkg fails to install because it checks for os less then 12.0

expand contents of pkg into folder

pkgutil --expand HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers-10.6.0.1.1.1602826228.pkg HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers-10.6.0.1.1.1602826228

Modify distribution file:

if (system.compareVersions(system.version.ProductVersion, '12.0') > 0) {

to be 13.0 or something higher

turn folder back into pkg

pkgutil --flatten HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers-10.6.0.1.1.1602826228 HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers-10.6.0.1.1.1602826228.pkg

Edited to add a script:

Bash:

#!/bin/bash

curl -o ~/Downloads/hpdrivers.dmg https://updates.cdn-apple.com/2020/macos/001-41745-20201210-DBC9B46B-88B2-4032-87D9-449AF1D20804/HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.dmg

hdiutil attach ~/Downloads/hpdrivers.dmg

pkgutil --expand /Volumes/HP_PrinterSupportManual/HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.pkg ~/Downloads/hp-expand

hdiutil eject /Volumes/HP_PrinterSupportManual

sed -i '' 's/12.0/13.0/' ~/Downloads/hp-expand/Distribution

pkgutil --flatten ~/Downloads/hp-expand ~/Downloads/HP_Drivers_12.pkg

rm -R ~/Downloads/hp-expand

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/monterrey-and-hp-printers.2319676/

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2024 7:48 AM in response to igneousrock

Have you tried the Generic PostScript or Generic PCL6c drivers?

Also...

theapplecynic

macrumors newbie

HP pkg fails to install because it checks for os less then 12.0

expand contents of pkg into folder

pkgutil --expand HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers-10.6.0.1.1.1602826228.pkg HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers-10.6.0.1.1.1602826228

Modify distribution file:

if (system.compareVersions(system.version.ProductVersion, '12.0') > 0) {

to be 13.0 or something higher

turn folder back into pkg

pkgutil --flatten HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers-10.6.0.1.1.1602826228 HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers-10.6.0.1.1.1602826228.pkg

Edited to add a script:

Bash:

#!/bin/bash

curl -o ~/Downloads/hpdrivers.dmg https://updates.cdn-apple.com/2020/macos/001-41745-20201210-DBC9B46B-88B2-4032-87D9-449AF1D20804/HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.dmg

hdiutil attach ~/Downloads/hpdrivers.dmg

pkgutil --expand /Volumes/HP_PrinterSupportManual/HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.pkg ~/Downloads/hp-expand

hdiutil eject /Volumes/HP_PrinterSupportManual

sed -i '' 's/12.0/13.0/' ~/Downloads/hp-expand/Distribution

pkgutil --flatten ~/Downloads/hp-expand ~/Downloads/HP_Drivers_12.pkg

rm -R ~/Downloads/hp-expand

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/monterrey-and-hp-printers.2319676/

May 9, 2024 4:26 AM in response to igneousrock

Solution:

Absolutely ridiculous but this installer which is allegedly not compatible with MacOS v12 of newer works in Sonoma with Apple Silicon, and all the colour features work. It even installs an HP maintenance utility (not the one of the App Store, a different one).

HP 5.1.1 Printer Software Update - Apple Support

@BDAqua Is there a way to upload this somewhere and link it here, in case Apple takes the website down as it is obsolete software / hardware? Does the forum allow that? I have also found a directory of all the PPDs in /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/. Any suggestions on how to preserve this on the interwebs?

Thank you!

May 6, 2024 8:23 AM in response to BDAqua

Hello and thanks for your reply. I have no idea what postcript / PCL6 drivers are, but from the research I have done they seem to be alternatives to CUPS drivers? I will try to find them and report whether they worked for this printer.

Thanks for the pkg trick. I am a bit concerned about causing a kernel panic by forcing the original driver and modifying the installer. Before trying that, I want to try the option below.

What I have actually found are the ppd files. They were inside of HP's driver pkg, buried deep. I have extracted the one for macOS 10.6: HP Photosmart C4600 series.ppd. The question is, how is this loaded into CUPS? I believe it might be a matter of:

1 Copying the file to /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj

2 Connecting the printer and following the wizard

3 When asked about the driver, locate it on the path above and select it.

I am unsure if this will work given that the ppd was designed for 10.6 and I have 14.4.1. I will have access to the printer tomorrow. If this works I'll make sure to draft a step by step guide here.

If you know a better / easier way to load the driver into cups, or think this might fail, please let me know. I'm not super techie.

Thank you

May 9, 2024 4:10 AM in response to BDAqua

So unfortunately it has not worked. The last PPD I have been able to fetch from the HP website is for macOS 10.6 (for newer versions it just says to use the macOS printer assistant, which I am assuming is the generic drivers that only print in B/W).

I have loaded the PPD both in:

/private/etc/cups/ppd/HP Photosmart C4600 series.ppd/en.lproj/HP Photosmart C4600 series.ppd

/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/HP Photosmart C4600 series.ppd

I get an error message saying: "The software for the printer was installed incorrectly. Please reinstall the software from the manufacturer."

The file where I extracted the PPDs from is a .dmg. When opened, there is only an install wizard in the form of .app, which appears with the forbidden sign superimposed (not compatible). So I guess I can't use the pkg trick.

Do you know if there is a way to force MacOS to accept this PPD. This is a Sonoma machine with an M1 chip.

Thank you

Edit: I'm wondering if there is a way to use this: 106385

Is there a driver or PPD file available for HP Photosmart C4680 that supports color printing with macOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.