Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

How to pair the Apple Pencil 1st generation with iPad 10th generation

I have iPad 10th gen, 1st issue of ipencil, and I have the adapter. Should be all set with the equipment. I just don’t know how to pair the old pencil with the pad. I have them connected, everything is plugged in, up to date, now what? Pencil doesn’t show in my cloud stuff. I’m missing a step, just don’t know what it is. Thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on May 6, 2024 7:15 AM

2 replies

May 6, 2024 7:42 AM in response to sarah081503

See:

Pair Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

The first generation Pencil is charged and paired from iPad10 using the iPad charging cable - and an Apple USB-C to Apple Pencil Adapter:

New first generation Pencils now ship with this special adapter in the box along with the Pencil. However, some older stock purchased from retailers may lack the USB-C to Lightning adapter - and may instead have an older Lightning to Lightning Adapter.

For owners of older first generation Pencils, or for “old stock” new Pencils, the new special adapter can be purchased directly from Apple as an accessory.

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MQLU3ZM/A

Assuming that you are using a first generation Pencil and the correct charging Adapter and USB-C cable with your iPad10, if you continue to experience difficulties, here is one of the better troubleshooting guides:

https://appletoolbox.com/apple-pencil-not-working-heres-our-troubleshooting-guide/

Be aware that if your Pencil has been set-aside for an extended period, unused and uncharged, the Pencil battery may have been damaged through deep discharge. In common with all Li-ion batteries, they must always have some level of charge.

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”. 

It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless. Setting aside an unused Pencil, for extended periods, is a recipe for premature death of the Pencil battery.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. If the battery has failed and your pencil is within its one-year warranty, you should look to having it replaced by your retailer or at an Apple Store.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Gentle warming of the Pencil (such as placing on a hot water radiator), prior to attempting charging of the Pencil, can sometimes resurrect a dead Pencil battery.

How to pair the Apple Pencil 1st generation with iPad 10th generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.