Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Do I need a tempered glass film guard with a full-body case for my iPad?

do i need to put on a Tempered Glass Film Guard if I just have a Sturdy Heavy Duty Full-Body Shockproof Protective Case with Screen Protector for my iPad

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad

Posted on May 6, 2024 11:38 AM

2 replies

May 6, 2024 1:10 PM in response to JohnnyBenz38

A robust case will protect the iPad itself from knocks, bumps and modest drops - but will not protect the screen from wear and tear, in particular if you intend to use a Pencil or other stylus with your iPad.

Use of a screen protector is largely personal choice - but there are considerations. With appropriate information, you can make an informed choice.

iPad screens are robust, but the anti-reflection treatment and oleophobic coating can be easily damaged by tiny grit/dust particles that are unavoidable in many environments. The oleophobic coating is a chemical sacrificial layer that will wear-out over time.

Your iPad screen is the single most expensive component of your iPad - whereas a screen protector is sacrificial layer that, if damaged, is easy and relatively cheap to replace.

Zagg and OtterBox are amongst the better manufacturers of tempered glass screen protectors - with good reputation. Always choose a screen protector from a well known brand - choosing a screen protector that is specifically designed for your iPad model.

Some users comment that a glass screen protector makes the screen very slippery when using the Apple Pencil. The alternative is a matt/textured film screen protector - but these have two principal disadvantages.

1) The textured film reduces clarity and contrast

2) Accelerated wear of the Pencil tip, necessitating frequent tip replacement.

Good quality tempered glass screen protectors from reputable manufacturers, that are designed for your iPad, will have absolutely no impact upon sensitivity of the screen or usability of an Apple Pencil. By contrast, cheap “generic” screen protectors of any type, whether glass or film, can cause problems. The good options often include a money back guarantee.

Of available options, Zagg arguably have the best reputation; you are very unlikely to find reported issues or complaint with their screen protector products.

Also consider that physical screen protectors can be removed without affecting your iPad warranty. Liquid screen protector products offer no physical damage protection, are irreversible, and may void your Apple warranty.

Do I need a tempered glass film guard with a full-body case for my iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.