URGENT / My MacBook Pro deleted itself

Hello,

This afternoon, I locked my MacBook Pro and went with my dog for a quick walk. After we got back, I noticed something weird: my MacBook was deleted almost wholly! It asked me to log in with the computer password like always, and then I recognized that All my files, Logic folder and app, Google Drive files, desktop, downloads, and some of the softwares—got deleted! I checked the disk utility and was shocked to see I had 1.88 TB of free space.

What to do? What is going on? Unfortunately, I don't have a time machine, and I don't have any backups from the last two years.

MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2018

2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9, 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

macOS Ventura 13.6.4 (22G513)

PLEASE HELP ME!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 6, 2024 4:03 PM

6 replies

May 6, 2024 4:35 PM in response to Jonathan994

Jonathan994 wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/bccac6ea-d850-40fb-829e-112290e2573a
Hi, thanks for the answer.

Yes, I bought this Mac brand new, and nothing has been wrong since 2019.
Yes, I'm booted into my correct user account.

I had 100GB free, and now I've 1.88TB out of 2TB

I definitely learned that strategy, but now I must to find my lost data :/

As long as Time Machine is turned on you should be keeping "Local Snapshots" for ± 24 hours

About Time Machine local snapshots on Mac

allocated on the source volume— If you want to restore from Local Snapshots follow the instructions,

Recover all your files on Mac  

May 6, 2024 4:19 PM in response to Jonathan994

Jonathan994 wrote:

Hello,

This afternoon, I locked my MacBook Pro and went with my dog for a quick walk. After we got back, I noticed something weird: my MacBook was deleted almost wholly! It asked me to log in with the computer password like always, and then I recognized that All my files, Logic folder and app, Google Drive files, desktop, downloads, and some of the softwares—got deleted! I checked the disk utility and was shocked to see I had 1.88 TB of free space.

What to do? What is going on? Unfortunately, I don't have a time machine, and I don't have any backups from the last two years.

MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2018
2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9, 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
macOS Ventura 13.6.4 (22G513)
PLEASE HELP ME!

Sounds like some kind of catastrophic failure one of which I never heard before.

Did you buy this Mac brand new and have been using it trouble free until today?

Can you verify you are booted into your correct user account, from the ...

you say 1.88 TB— what is the total size of your internal SSD?

Form the Terminal.app you can see the drive, you can post it here. copy and paste:

diskutil list internal

Always advised If you value your user data—

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

URGENT / My MacBook Pro deleted itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.