Photos won't open because Mac thinks they're an app downloaded from an unidentified developer

I just bought a new MacBook Air, but my Nikon D40 doesn't connect with it, so I put my new photos on my old MacBook Pro, and then used Airdrop to send them over to my Air 10 at a time.

When I opened the first 40 pictures in Photos, I had no problem.

Then I set Photos to be the default for opening photos. (Not sure if this is relevant.)

When I tried to open the last batch of photos, I got an error message saying "DSC_1234.nef" (for instance) "...cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware."

I can override, but it only lets me override one at a time. When I go into security settings, it likewise only lets me override one block at a time, even if I had 100 photos selected when I tried to open.

What's the problem here? What caused it all of a sudden? How do I override this for all future photos?

MacBook Air, macOS 13.4

Posted on May 6, 2024 7:37 PM

9 replies

May 9, 2024 8:14 AM in response to Question_RE_FindMy

USB SD card reader is like this:

Mine doesn't look like this, and I'm not recommending this one, but it's a nice picture. Also, it has USB-A and USB-c connectors, and it only costs $10.

I plug in my 2 SD Cards from my Nikon to get pictures, NEF and jpeg, into my Mac. It's the most reliable method, I think.

As to why AirDrop doesn't work-- we don't have enough information to know. Are you doing a few images at a time? That's best for AirDrop.

Have you tried these things?

• Restart the computer (of course)
    • Re-start in Safe Mode. This bypasses certain potentially disruptive processes. Safe Mode is different for different computers, so see this: 

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 

• Make a new user and see if the same problem recurs with it

Let us know your results....

May 7, 2024 6:56 AM in response to Question_RE_FindMy

You can get files from your D40 using a USB card read if all else fails and that's a lot more simple than that airdrop manoeuvre you're doing.

It sounds like OS is recognising these images as applications, and I wonder of the .nef suffix has been lost or damaged in some way. Try remove that suffix and tap it in again and see if that changes things.

May 8, 2024 5:50 PM in response to Yer_Man

As I mentioned, the .nef files opened for a few hours. Then a later batch got this strange problem out of nowhere.

I don't know what you mean by "a USB card read." The memory card is a SDHC card. I could probably buy a converter from the old USB to the new USB on my MacBook Air, but that doesn't really explain why I can't Airdrop files from a trusted computer and then open them without my computer thinking they're security threats.

Photos won't open because Mac thinks they're an app downloaded from an unidentified developer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.