Use iPad to transfer from Camera to Website without saving to iPad

I want to do something that seems simple but can’t figure out if it is possible. I want to hook up a camera to my iPad and, instead of importing the photos, to just use the iPad to upload them to a website of my choosing - in this case, SmugMug. All solutions I have tried have me first saving them to my iPad and I want to avoid that if I can because that then syncs them to Google Photos, etc. and takes up space on the iPad, even for just a little while. Any ideas?

iPad Pro (6th generation)

Posted on May 7, 2024 1:18 AM

1 reply

May 7, 2024 1:48 AM in response to YankeeDocNJ

Perhaps you need to find a camera that natively supports upload to your chosen cloud-service. These are generally marketed for vlogging/streaming and "content creators".

To my limited knowledge of social media-sharing platforms, they generally anticipate "content" to be uploaded to the associated service from a computer or device-resident App.

If your Camera exposes its storage media to a connected computer using MTP mode (NB: PTP mode won't work), what you might be able to do is directly connect your camera via USB to your iPad's USB-C port - and simply select the photos for upload from there. This might avoid the intermediate step of transferring your photos to the iPad prior to uploading to your chosen social media platform or cloud storage provider.

Connect external storage devices to iPad - Apple Support

Use iPad to transfer from Camera to Website without saving to iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.