MacBook Pro screen only working in recovery mode with external monitor

My macbook pros screen went blank yesterday however the screen is still back lit and the caps lock button etc is on. I can shut down and restart Mac and hear the chime but even after resetting PRAM etc it’s still not displaying.

what I have found is working is plugging in and external monitor however this only works in recovery mode. The screen options are either choose a disk or forgot password etc.. I then select my Macintosh HD to load from, enter password and it resets but then no screen.

for some reason it is only displaying when in this recovery mode not the actual normal startup way? Any help would be hugely appreciated

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on May 7, 2024 3:04 AM

2 replies

May 7, 2024 8:04 AM in response to luckyyellowhog

luckyyellowhog wrote:

My macbook pros screen went blank yesterday however the screen is still back lit and the caps lock button etc is on. I can shut down and restart Mac and hear the chime but even after resetting PRAM etc it’s still not displaying.
what I have found is working is plugging in and external monitor however this only works in recovery mode. The screen options are either choose a disk or forgot password etc.. I then select my Macintosh HD to load from, enter password and it resets but then no screen.
for some reason it is only displaying when in this recovery mode not the actual normal startup way? Any help would be hugely appreciated

Sounds like the Display has failed.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

MacBook Pro screen only working in recovery mode with external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.