Can I print from my iPad to a non-internet connected printer?

I have a non-internet printer with no connected computer. How can I print from iPad? I have a usb-b-to-usb-c adapter.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 7, 2024 6:37 AM

7 replies

May 7, 2024 9:07 AM in response to rokkripprapp

iOS/iPadOS doesn’t natively support direct connection to a USB Printer. Instead, these devices use a network connection to supported printers typically over WiFi - or if explicitly supported by the printer, a wired ethernet connection.

See:

Apple AirPrint is a driverless connection protocol. A high proportion of modern printers intended for Home, SoHo and Business environments now support AirPrint:

About AirPrint - Apple Support

If your Printer does not support AirPrint, WiFi Direct is simple wireless alternative - but will require use of an appropriate App supplied by the Printer Manufacturer (e.g., many HP Printers use the HP Smart App).

A further alternative is to add AirPrint support to your existing USB Printer using a Print Server (e.g., Lantronix xPrintServer - or a Raspberry Pi running CUPS). Both are viable, however, you may find that purchase of a cheap AirPrint-capable printer may be more cost effective.

You might also consider connecting a non-AirPrint printer to a PC or Mac computer - and install a “helper application” that allows the computer to emulate AirPrint capabilities.

May 7, 2024 6:40 AM in response to rokkripprapp

Unfortunately, directly printing from an iPad Air 2 (or any iPad) to a non-internet printer using a USB-B to USB-C adapter isn't possible. iPads lack the drivers and software necessary to communicate with a printer via a USB connection.

alternative solutions:

1. Print with a Computer as an intermediary:

• If you have a computer (Mac or Windows) with a USB port, you can connect your printer to the computer and then print wirelessly from your iPad to the printer through your computer.

• There are two ways to do this:

• Shared Printer: Set up your printer sharing on your computer and then add the shared printer on your iPad. This allows you to print to the printer from any app on your iPad that supports printing.

• Print through computer software: Some printer manufacturers offer apps or software that allow you to print from your iPad to a printer connected to your computer.

2. Use a Print Server:

• A print server is a small device that connects to your network and allows you to connect USB printers to your network. Once connected, you can print to the printer from any device on your network, including your iPad.

Hope it helps bro.

May 7, 2024 8:14 AM in response to rokkripprapp

rokkripprapp wrote:

I have a non-internet printer with no connected computer. How can I print from iPad? I have a usb-b-to-usb-c adapter.

There are no printer drivers on an iOS device; it can only print to an AirPrint compatible printer, or to a computer-connected printer using a 3rd party AirPrint app such as Printopia.

Some printer manufacturers have iOS apps that can print directly to a printer; ask your printer manufacturer.

Can I print from my iPad to a non-internet connected printer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.