Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

I’ve received an email from a hacker from my email account!

I went into my junk box ready to delete everything as usual. There was a threatening email saying I was going to have my browsing history exposed and that I was a pervert. The demand is for 1500$.

I checked to see if it was a usual scam with a rubbish email address. My surprise when all my details came up as if I’d sent it. I clicked on reply arrow and yep, my email address came up. The scammer also told me it would. I have less than 48 hours to accede to their demands to put the money into a bitcoin account. I won’t be doing that. I’ve changed my passwords and mostly use strong ones and two factor authentication.

How can this happen and what can I do now?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on May 7, 2024 7:08 AM

13 replies

May 7, 2024 8:43 AM in response to Pexus

Scam.

Do not respond to, or engage with, the message. Certainly do not, under any circumstances, attempt to contact anyone using the contact details that may have been provided within the message itself.

Most scam alerts are designed to scare the unwary into giving away sensitive information - or to fool you into doing something that you shouldn’t - usually to defraud you financially.

Email address spoofing is trivial. It is not uncommon to see email with your own email address as the sender; and I'm not referring to simple character substitutions.

If you suspect that your AppleID account or Password has been compromised:

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

May 7, 2024 8:18 AM in response to Pexus

Pexus wrote:

I went into my junk box ready to delete everything as usual. There was a threatening email saying I was going to have my browsing history exposed and that I was a pervert. The demand is for 1500$.

I checked to see if it was a usual scam with a rubbish email address. My surprise when all my details came up as if I’d sent it. I clicked on reply arrow and yep, my email address came up. The scammer also told me it would. I have less than 48 hours to accede to their demands to put the money into a bitcoin account. I won’t be doing that. I’ve changed my passwords and mostly use strong ones and two factor authentication.

How can this happen and what can I do now?

This is a very common phishing scam. Delete it.

May 7, 2024 8:26 AM in response to Pexus

Pexus wrote:

If you view the raw message source you will find it is not your address; there will be letter substitutions in it that will make it look like your address, such as an upper case “i” rather than a lower case “L” or similar substitutions.

May 7, 2024 1:31 PM in response to Dinosaur185

Dinosaur185 wrote:

Hi there. I have had the exact same thing calling me a sick pervert and apparently recording me watching indecent stuff!

They were not recording you. They were lying about that.

first question what’s a me.com email address? I know it’s connected to iCloud but how do I know if it’s from my account and has been hacked (with empty threats?)

A me.com address is the format that existed before icloud.com addresses. When Apple converted, people who had those address were allowed to keep them. Nothing has been hacked.

it went to my junk box - what action do I need to take?

As has been explained, all you have to do is delete the email.

May 7, 2024 1:47 PM in response to Pexus

Pexus wrote:

It's an extortion scam – more specifically, a "sextortion" one. The term "sextortion" seems to cover a variety of criminal activities – ranging from what was aimed at you, all the way up to child predators actively encouraging unsuspecting child victims to send them inappropriate images as a prelude to God-knows-what.

This U.K. Government Web site describes something that sounds exactly like what you experienced – and their advice is to not engage with the criminals.

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/files/sextortion-scams-infographic.pdf

My surprise when all my details came up as if I’d sent it. I clicked on reply arrow and yep, my email address came up.

My mother sometimes got calls from telemarketers where the Caller ID said that the spammers or scammers were calling from her phone number. Obviously impossible, also obviously meant to bypass call filters (since who would think to block calls from their own phone number?).

As the others said, just because they can play games with the e-mail system doesn't mean they're all-knowing, or all-powerful. They just want you to think that, so you will fall for the extortion scam. And with extortion/blackmail, paying the criminals may get you in deeper, because then the criminals figure they can keep blackmailing you and keep threatening you to get you to cough up more.

I have less than 48 hours to accede to their demands to put the money into a bitcoin account. I won’t be doing that. I’ve changed my passwords and mostly use strong ones and two factor authentication.

Good! You didn't fall for it!

May 7, 2024 1:55 PM in response to Dinosaur185

Dinosaur185 wrote:

Thank you so much for explaining! I know they were lying but it makes you wonder if they still have access to anything!

I know they haven’t been recording anything but I was more concerned about pictures and videos of my children - that’s what scares me!

Do not trust extortionists to tell you the truth. They don't have access to anything. It's much easier and cheaper to lie to you and say that they do. That way, they scare you into paying money, and all they had to do was send an email. Actually, compromising your phone remotely would cost them a lot of money.

May 7, 2024 9:11 AM in response to callaway

I didn’t open anything within the email itself. I think the most unsettling thing about it is the way my email was used as a way of ‘proving’ that they had accessed my iPad and iPhone.

I’m tempted to go to the police but as I’m an ex-pat living in France it might be difficult to explain it all.

May 7, 2024 1:22 PM in response to Pexus

Hi there. I have had the exact same thing calling me a sick pervert and apparently recording me watching indecent stuff!

first question what’s a me.com email address? I know it’s connected to iCloud but how do I know if it’s from my account and has been hacked (with empty threats?) it went to my junk box - what action do I need to take?

I’ve received an email from a hacker from my email account!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.