Time Machine - loses backup volume in Settings and can't keep track of last backup

I have an early 2017 MacBook Pro running Ventura 13.6.6 and for quite a while now, through several OS versions the backup volume setting in Time Machine Settings has been disappearing as soon as I eject the volume to take the MacBook on the go. The setting will not return until I reboot the MacBook and will not reappear if I just reconnect the volume without rebooting. This is one annoying behavior with the Mac OS that I have seen pretty consistently for some time.

The other annoying issue with Time Machine is that the Latest Backup value that appears in the menu bar is more than a month stale and I keep getting messages that my latest backup was on 3/29/2024 - no backup for 38 days. If I connect my Time Machine volume I can clearly see several successful backups since then. I have wiped and restored my MacBook from my Time Machine backups so they appear to be perfectly useable. Just an annoying inaccuracy in the warnings about the latest backup and backup volume setting.

Is there a solution to these minor but annoying issues and are they known bugs?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 7, 2024 9:33 AM

1 reply

May 7, 2024 10:02 AM in response to Hiroki Yotsukura

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Time Machine - loses backup volume in Settings and can't keep track of last backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.