hundreds of files being written to bin

16" Intel MacBook Pro, Latest version of Sonoma. 64Gb RAM/1Tb storage.

Every few seconds, an empty text file in the form of "downloads3.txt 18-14-49-866" and an .ini file in the form of "9470510c8373e6b4.ini 18-01-08-113.ini" are being written to my trash/bin. The contents of the .ini files are as below. Any idea where they might be coming from?

Many thanks

Nigel

installID = 1

originatorID = 0ef2b7fe-46f2-4c7e-9aba-d0819ac8f489

deviceID = fc876674-f526-4a99-b970-dc38bbe3f6e0

lastRefreshTime = 0

requestsSent = 0

bytesTransferred = 0

uploadLimitKbPerSec = 0

downloadLimitKbPerSec = 0

uploadSpeedAutoLimited = false

edpManaged = false

edpManagedSince = 0

needsPlaceholderTransition = false

pendingPermissionInheritanceChange = None

OfficeOriginatorID = b0461914-fac7-4353-a2fa-6c11c3dd8be7

lastKnownOSVersion =

Posted on May 7, 2024 10:20 AM

10 replies

May 7, 2024 11:16 AM in response to Nigel Plant

Other users have experienced the exact same behavior with the Office 365 subscription along with the OneDrive synchronization of files. I have not seen the specific solution to stop this from happening, but it is the combo of the Office virtualization syncing these files with OneDrive to your trash. Reviewing the Microsoft support pages may offer a solution and if I find one, I will post back.

May 7, 2024 10:57 AM in response to Nigel Plant

9470510c8373e6b4.....

Tat could suggest adware. Often adware files will use that sort of scrambled file naming to make it hard to block or even search for them. Have you used download hosting sites† or torrent downloading? They are big players in distributing adware.

Most of the AV stuff is, in addition to being useless on Macs, cannot handle adware. The only third-party adware detection/removal tool most of the senior folks here mention is MalwareBytes. Its developer was a respected and long-serving contributor here. The demo version runs manually; the pay-for version intercepts incoming adware in ral time.

Do avoid more aware, PLEASE get ti only from the developers site: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac

† — sites that the claim to give you stuff "free" that you know darned well costs money elsewhere

hundreds of files being written to bin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.