Image appears bright while recording video on iPhone 15 Pro Max, but then the saved video is much darker

I record dark rides like the Haunted Mansion at Disney World frequently for my YouTube channel and I have noticed something very odd. As I record the video, it looks amazing and I can't believe what great detail I'm picking up in such a dark space. Unfortunately, when I look back at the footage, it is dramatically darker and even when maxing out the levels using Final Cut or the adjustments in the Photos app, I can never get anything close to what I saw on the screen as I recorded the footage. What is happening here? Is this a normal thing that happens when the video is processed? Is there a way to capture that amazing quality that I see as I record it? If it helps, I always record with the Camera app at 4k 24fps with HDR turned on. Thanks!

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on May 7, 2024 12:56 PM

8 replies

May 7, 2024 2:14 PM in response to terryb

Thanks - those were interesting videos, but I think my issue actually starts before I ever get to Final Cut Pro since I can see the footage looks darkened and has lost detail on my iPhone itself as soon as I have finished recording. I am wondering if there is a setting I can use that will retain the brightness that I saw on my screen as I was recording or some way in Final Cut to access that profile that was allowing me to see such great detail and brightness as I was recording.

May 7, 2024 2:18 PM in response to terryb

Yes - but I don't think the issue is actually in Final Cut as I see the darker footage on my iPhone as soon as it is done recording. So as I am looking at my screen recording the footage, it is bright and detailed and then as soon as I am done recording, I can watch that same footage on my iPhone and it is darker and I cannot get that detail back no matter how much I adjust the settings in the Photos app. What I'm wondering is if there is some setting in the iPhone that is processing the footage and causing it to lose all that great brightness and detail I saw as I recorded it live. I have it set to High Efficiency (HEVC) - could that be causing the issue?

May 7, 2024 2:54 PM in response to Rob_Daniel

I see the same as you. The image on the phone screen is a little muddy compared to while I am shooting. However, as soon as a start playback on the phone the image becomes brighter. The same thing happens in the QuickTime player on the Mac. The image is a little darker on the Mac, which has a 1000 nit screen. The camera screen on the phone is 1600 nits for HDR and up to 2000 in sunlight. It has greater latitude than even the M1 MBP.

Image appears bright while recording video on iPhone 15 Pro Max, but then the saved video is much darker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.