After installing a new SSD on my iMac 21.5" it is slow

Dear,

I have recently installed a new SSD but after installing my MAC is really slow.

Everything points to my new SSD but i don't know what is wrong.

Can you help me fix this issue?

Many thanks in advance,

Bert

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 7, 2024 1:13 PM

5 replies

May 7, 2024 1:48 PM in response to Bert_S

1) You used Crucial's Inferior BX500 SSD instead of Crucial's MX500 or OWC's Mercury Extreme Pro SSD.

2) The BX500 SSDs Write speed is only 8 MB/s when the Write/Read speeds should both be closer to 500 MB/s

3) McAfee has completely infested your system and needs to be removed as per the developers directions.

May 7, 2024 2:44 PM in response to annelies178

You should never take a Mac to anywhere but an Apple Authorized Service Provider, if your shop isn't an Apple Authorized Service Provider then they are not qualified to work on the machine. Consider this a lesson then, also please follow den.thed's advice about the SSD that was installed and please get rid of the third party AV app installed. Locate and follow the developers uninstall instructions and then follow to the letter. Next, download FindAnyFile and have it search for ANYTHING with the word:

• McAfee

in it and move them to the Trash and empty the Trash!!!

Moving forward, please use the following advice!

Mac OS is catlike in that it cleans itself, Mac OS does not benefit from nor does it require any of the following types of third party apps:

·      Antivirus Apps

·      Cleaning Apps

·      Security Apps

·      VPN Apps

·      Maintenance Apps

What these types of apps do is the exact opposite of what users want. They make Mac OS slow, appear buggy, can damage Mac OS and sometimes create unwanted behaviors. In short, they are really bad news!

All Mac OS needs in order to remain secure is simply keep it up-to-date and restart your Mac about 1x per week. Other than that, just enjoy it!

May 7, 2024 2:08 PM in response to rkaufmann87

(Currently logged in under other account)

I have sent my Mac to a local IT shop to install the new SSD. As Soon as it was back it was slow.

I am reluctant to sent it back(even if its their "fault") because of the possible extra Costs

I wonder what the root cause of the failing hard drive is:

- incompatibility between SSD and Imac 13.1

- wrong mounting

- SSD itself which is failing

Many thanks already for the help/advice

May 8, 2024 2:01 PM in response to annelies178

annelies178 wrote:

I have sent my Mac to a local IT shop to install the new SSD. As Soon as it was back it was slow.
I am reluctant to sent it back(even if its their "fault") because of the possible extra Costs

The repair shop installed a junk drive in your system, they should replace it with a good SSD for free since they made the mistake (unless you gave them this SSD). If the MX500 SSD is a bit more expensive, then pay for the difference in price between the two SSDs, but the repair shop should assume all other costs for replacing it. Ask them to install the Crucial MX500 SSD instead as it is a quality drive and is not that much more expensive.

I wonder what the root cause of the failing hard drive is:

@den.thed has already explained. The BX500 drive is junk, plain & simple. It was designed to be a low end budget economy model. Once the SSD's write cache is filled, the write performance of the SSD will drop drastically. It only takes about 40 seconds of writing data non-stop to the SSD to fill the SSD's write cache after which the SSD's write speed begins dropping quickly. It can take hours or even days before the write speed recovers. Besides the performance issues with this particular SSD, this SSD overheats (70C) very easily which then throttles the speed of the SSD as well. In addition this SSD has an extremely high rate of failure. My organization had a significant number fail completely on first use, others failed after a very short time of light use.

Unfortunately most SSD review sites do not test SSDs properly to identify these issues which don't always show up in the quick benchmark tests they perform although many reviewers will mention the SSD is slightly slower than many others. It is possible the techs at this repair shop never bothered to proper test the SSDs themselves to discover their true nature. Any reputable tech can easily perform a simple test to see how quickly this SSD's write speed decreases and a knowledgeable tech should be able to monitor the SSD's health attributes including its temperature.

After installing a new SSD on my iMac 21.5" it is slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.