Why do my videos that I download go to a completely different time from when i download them.

When I save a video, they appear at a completely different date. It happens often but not all the time. I could waste my time searching for a video I downloaded just for it to be all the way in 2016. It seems to be only when i Save videos from discord.

iPhone X, iOS 16

Posted on May 7, 2024 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2024 10:28 PM

Many social media apps (Facebook, WhatsApp etc) strip metadata (dates, locations) from images and videos. When that happens, as a last resort Photos grabs the date from the very fragile file create date. In addition to that, movie metadata is still a wild west with no proper standards so movies from different devices and sites use different metadata.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2024 10:28 PM in response to kuul6three

Many social media apps (Facebook, WhatsApp etc) strip metadata (dates, locations) from images and videos. When that happens, as a last resort Photos grabs the date from the very fragile file create date. In addition to that, movie metadata is still a wild west with no proper standards so movies from different devices and sites use different metadata.

Why do my videos that I download go to a completely different time from when i download them.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.