Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

What external SSD compatible with iPad 7th generation?

I need to create more storage on my iPad 7th gen. Most of the storage is being used by Procreate files. I need to move all of my saved Procreate project files to an ext SSD but I cannot find one that is compatible. When I look at the info on various SSD drives, the 7th gen is never listed. I’m looking at the LaCie 1TB Mobile SSD Secure USB-C Drive. This and other SSD compatible lists skip from iPad mini 6 to the iPad 10.

Can anyone help?

iPad (7th generation)

Posted on May 8, 2024 4:38 AM

2 replies

May 8, 2024 6:22 AM in response to sewthere

You perhaps haven't noticed that all the devices listed in your screenshot have a USB-C connection - unlike your iPad7 that has an Apple Lightning connector. As such you'll not be able to connect a USB-C storage device directly to your existing iPad.

While you can connect many types of external storage devices to your iPad, you will need both an Adapter - and a compatible cable.

You will require an Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter - as this provides the ability to connect USB storage devices to your iPad:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

To be recognised by iPadOS, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32, exFAT, APFS or HFS+ with a single partition. Microsoft NTFS is not supported. Formatting and partitioning, if required, must be performed using a separate computer; iPad does not provide any facilities to format an external storage device.

Some additional information can be found here:

Connect external devices or servers with Files on iPhone - Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-use-external-hard-drives-your-iphone-or-ipad

What external SSD compatible with iPad 7th generation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.