How can I receive a battery notice at 20% on MacBook Air 15?

Warning of low battery comes in at 10%. I would like to get a notice on 20% already.

How do I change the setting for this?

Device: MacBook Air 15 - Sonoma 14

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 14.3

Posted on May 8, 2024 5:26 AM

4 replies

May 8, 2024 5:38 AM in response to 123_Alpha_Beta

Apple has designed the Low Warning to occur at certain levels for battery power left.

If you want to get the Warning for a Higher Level like 20%

Explore the free or paid version

If configured properly, ie The Application would have to running ALL the time

You can configure the Third Party Application to Alert you when the battery reaches levels & perhaps 20 % also

https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

May 8, 2024 5:44 AM in response to 123_Alpha_Beta

The operating system has been coded to show a low battery percentage at 2% and only Apple can change the operating system to issue a warning at a higher percentage.

One can write a script that throws a notification or alert dialog at a given minimum battery level and has a LaunchAgent .plist coded to run that script every 15 minutes to avoid unnecessary CPU usage and additional battery drain.

May 8, 2024 3:48 PM in response to 123_Alpha_Beta

I have tested a LaunchAgent and companion Zsh script running on macOS Ventura 13.6.6 and it opens a dialog when the battery level descends to a specified value. This should work fine on Sonoma too, but I have no battery devices currently running Sonoma to test.

When the LaunchAgent runs it will pass your 20% value as an integer to a Zsh script. That script will test if you are off or on the charger and exit if on the charger. However, if you are still discharging the battery, you can dismiss the dialog and in the next time cycle, the dialog will reappear until you connect the charger. The testing for battery level is not continuously running and only wakes up and tests on the cycle you set in the LaunchAgent .plist.

The following alert appeared because I had set the LaunchAgent to warn when the charge level dropped below 96 percent. I couldn't wait all day for it to drop to 20%. I chose that 300 DPI battery icon for your stated 20% level…

The alert uses the default dark appearance mode text color (white), and when a Light appearance is chosen, the text will be black.

Here is the link to the LaunchAgent_BatteryAlert folder on Google Drive.

How can I receive a battery notice at 20% on MacBook Air 15?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.