Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Quick Time Player Issue - Recording done but not able to reach it

I recorded something, but the Quick Time Player does not seem to download it. Let me explain. When you open the Quick Time Player, you will see the prompt to screen recordings and the other ones. And on top of that, you can see your recording done lately. Well, I see that the recording was done, but I feel like it has not been downloaded because I can not see it anywhere, it does not allow me to download it or see it, and the screen recording option is in light gray, meaning I can not use it right now. I think somehow it got stuck in the program and is not allowing the recording to fully be available, not sure. Please help. By the way, does the length of the recording has anything to do with this? It was a one-hour 45-minute recording. Thanks

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.6

Posted on May 8, 2024 6:28 AM

1 reply

May 8, 2024 7:16 AM in response to typingthe

two things that have caused similar issues for me in the past:

first, what location are you using as your "save to" location? I have, in the past, encountered issues with longer recordings stopping / not saving unexpectedly whenever I have selected anything other than "desktop" as my "save to" location. this has been especially true when "save to" is set to an external drive. so I now use "desktop" as my "save to" every time and afterwards I move them to my desired location manually. I haven't had an issue since.

and second, do you have "Show Floating Thumbnail" enabled? when active, the recording will temporarily show up on the bottom right of your screen before being saved and moving to the chosen “save to” location. I have seen issues when others (and myself) that when interacting with the "floating thumbnail" it can cause the recording to disappear, never to be found again. that is why I personally ALWAYS leave "show floating thumbnail" disabled.

Quick Time Player Issue - Recording done but not able to reach it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.