How to recover a single Note entry with Time Machine

accidentally over-wrote a single note in my Notes app - hoe do I recover using my Time Machine backup?

MacBook Air, macOS 12.7

Posted on May 8, 2024 7:01 AM

5 replies

May 8, 2024 9:01 AM in response to JackBonita21

Do you sync your Note app with your iCloud account? If so, then see if the following support article can help:

If not, then try these options:

• Check the Recently Deleted folder in the Notes app.
  • Check the Trash.

However, all of these are to try to recover a deleted note, NOT to recover deleted text from any note. AFAIK, Apple does not provide us any means to do so.

Ref: Notes.app: restore a note after inadverte… - Apple Community

May 8, 2024 11:34 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks Teeserax...indeed my goal was to recover only the deleted text...I did not delete the note itself. Fortunately, I was able to regenerate what I lost...inconvenient, but not a crisis.

Originally, I was thinking I could just use my Time Machine backup to recover my full Notes file from an hour or so before I made the unintended edit, but I could not find clear guidance on which file or files to recover...posts online had conflicting directions and some indicated I would have to recover multiple "Note" related files (in the MacOS Library).

One post suggested just recovering the "group.com.apple.notes" in the "Group Containers" folder, but I decided not to risk messing with this...BUT I am curious if this would be the correct thing to do?

Appreciate your thoughts!

May 8, 2024 1:28 PM in response to JackBonita21

JackBonita21 wrote:

One post suggested just recovering the "group.com.apple.notes" in the "Group Containers" folder, but I decided not to risk messing with this...BUT I am curious if this would be the correct thing to do?

I'll try not to bore you with too much technical details ...

Yes, that location would be where you would locate the locally-stored Notes database. There's also a location for the iCloud version of this database, located at: ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes

The actual Notes data is in a file called “NoteStore.sqlite”, the Notes' text data is stored in a SQL Lite database file, whereas all media from Notes are stored in the various directories within this same folder.

Accessing the Notes data stored within the NoteStore.sqlite will require a SQL app to query the database. For this, you can either use the command line or a third party SQL Lite application. The latter can be found online. One place to look is: SQLiteBrowser.org

Your thinking about using TM is what most of us would try, but Apple does not make it easy in this case. In theory, you can open a Finder window to this location. Then enter the TM interface to go back to an earlier version. The problem you will still face is how to actually gain access to the SQL file ... and, of course, doing so "willy-nilly" could render it useless ... and definitely, not recommended.

May 10, 2024 8:14 AM in response to Tesserax

Thank you again Teeserax...your info was what I was looking for...and exactly what I was imagining...that is:

using TM to "go back in time" for an earlier version of my Notes file is very different than doing so for a simple file (e.g., a Word document)...and in my case, not something I would attempt for fear of creating a mess!

Just to be sure I understand...are you confirming that I cannot just go in TM and replace my current "group.com.apple.notes" with an earlier version?

Thank you for taking the time to respond...and for your insight!

John

May 10, 2024 11:34 AM in response to JackBonita21

JackBonita21 wrote:

Just to be sure I understand...are you confirming that I cannot just go in TM and replace my current "group.com.apple.notes" with an earlier version?

You can, but the risk of corrupting the Notes database is unknown.

If this particular note it not critical, then you're done ... but, if it is, then you bear the responsibility should things not work out as planned. What to also take into consideration, is if TM backed up this particular note with those text changes ... then which backup would you use.

If I was to attempt this (note that.I have never had the reason to do so), I would start by making a copy of that whole folder. Then open the original folder on your Mac's Desktop ... and then, enter the TM interface. This should allow you to access all of the TM backups of that folder. Then choose to restore the Notes database.

What I can't tell you is if this will work ... OR worse, cause more issues than it was worth. FWIW ... I would just "let it go" and "move on." Sorry, I wish I could be more optimistic about this process. You can also wait to see if anyone else chimes with a better solution. Good luck!

How to recover a single Note entry with Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.