How to reduce space taken by system data on my MacBook

Howdy! I received an out of storage warning recently and upon investigating I discovered 865 GB of system data. That is taking up most of my 1TB storage.

What could be causing this, and how can I reduce the size of this file?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 8, 2024 9:36 AM

4 replies

May 8, 2024 9:47 AM in response to Zippayjm

Zippayjm wrote:

Howdy! I received an out of storage warning recently and upon investigating I discovered 865 GB of system data. That is taking up most of my 1TB storage.

Reduce it, not possible under normal methods.

The final word from Apple on Managing the " System Data “ Category

System Data: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. 

You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

There are areas of the Operating System which we users have control over and that is the User Account Folder ( Home Folder )

All other areas are Off Limits. 

It is generally a good computer practice to alway keep at least 20% to 25% of the Total Drive Capacity’s as Empty Space. Allowing the computer to drop below these guidelines may eventually, cause unintended consequences.

There is Purgeable Space and there is Empty Space.

Purgeable Space which is Controlled by the Operating System. When the Operating Systems decides the computer needs additional Empty Space, it will move a portion of the Purgeable to Empty space

AFAIK - there is no User Actions to hasten this transition from Purgeable to Empty Space

It can day or longer before this will occur.

The links below will assist in identifying what is taking up space on the Internal Drive and provide possible ways to remove data that is under the direct control of the User ( Home Folder ) . 

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac.  

Often caused if the Time Machine Drive has not been attached  to the computer and TM Backup is set to run on a Schedule. 

TM Backup will make Snap Shot on the Internal Drive awaiting the TM Backup Drive to be attached. 

Only then will the Snaps Shots be transferred to the External Drive and deleted the Snapshot from Internal Drive..

View APFS snapshots in Disk Utility on Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Does the user have and use a Cloning Software like Carbon Copy Cloner ?

If so, sometimes the SnapShot may still be occupying space on the Internal Drive

SafetyNet Snapshots

If there a Suite of Adobe Applications  used on this computer ?

They may create some very large cache files that can be removed. Though, the Adobe cache files will be recreated as the Applications needs them.

https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/premiere-pro/kb/clear-cache.html

The same clearing of System Cache files can be achieved by booting into Safe Mode

They will be recreated as the System Requires 

May 8, 2024 9:50 AM in response to Zippayjm

Zippayjm wrote:

ref

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Free up storage space - Apple Support

Old name Other, new name System Data:

"Other and What Can I Do About It ?"

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how… - Apple Community

How to reduce space taken by system data on my MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.