MacBook M3 Pro and DaVinci Resolve Decode H.264/H.265 hardware acceleration

Hello to the community.

Looking for users of DaVinci Resolve who found the solution to the issue connected with decode hardware acceleration.

MacBook M3 Pro, 18 Gb, Sonoma 14.4.1

DaVinci Resolve Studio 19.0B Build 25

Files used: Lumix S1H 4k 4:2:2 10 bit Vlog H.264

I've read numerous topics on BlackMagic forum, it seems that many users of M3 Pro experience the same issues:

• Random media offline error in Media storage, Media Browser, Timeline
    • Files are okay - I tested them when placing on different hard drives including internal. Problem stays the same. After playing the files their thumbnail appears but randomly the media error may be seen in different places
  • Decode errors during the render
    • When exporting the projects render may fail in random places with the error "Render Job failed as the current clip could not be processed. The clip %name% could not be decoded correctly. Please check if the clip is still available on the drive."

It's hard to understand whether it is software problem or something connected with the MacBook M3 Pro family directly. Because users of Mac products with different chips don't encounter anything similar.

If you disable the "Decode H.264/H.265 using hardware acceleration" feature in the preferences everything is okay but the system speed decreases drastically which is obvious.

I've sent the Support request to BlackMagic support but still waiting for the answer.

Maybe there is someone who found the solution to this problem? Would be very grateful for your help

MacBook Pro (M3 Pro, 2023)

Posted on May 8, 2024 9:52 AM

1 reply

May 8, 2024 7:14 PM in response to shestakovvideo

shestakovvideo wrote:

Hello to the community.
Looking for users of DaVinci Resolve who found the solution to the issue connected with decode hardware acceleration.

MacBook M3 Pro, 18 Gb, Sonoma 14.4.1
DaVinci Resolve Studio 19.0B Build 25
Files used: Lumix S1H 4k 4:2:2 10 bit Vlog H.264

I've read numerous topics on BlackMagic forum, it seems that many users of M3 Pro experience the same issues:
• Random media offline error in Media storage, Media Browser, Timeline
• Files are okay - I tested them when placing on different hard drives including internal. Problem stays the same. After playing the files their thumbnail appears but randomly the media error may be seen in different places
• Decode errors during the render
• When exporting the projects render may fail in random places with the error "Render Job failed as the current clip could not be processed. The clip %name% could not be decoded correctly. Please check if the clip is still available on the drive."

It's hard to understand whether it is software problem or something connected with the MacBook M3 Pro family directly. Because users of Mac products with different chips don't encounter anything similar.

If you disable the "Decode H.264/H.265 using hardware acceleration" feature in the preferences everything is okay but the system speed decreases drastically which is obvious.
I've sent the Support request to BlackMagic support but still waiting for the answer.

Maybe there is someone who found the solution to this problem? Would be very grateful for your help

ref: macbook m3 pro bug with Davinci Resolve - Apple Community

MacBook M3 Pro and DaVinci Resolve Decode H.264/H.265 hardware acceleration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.