Music files become unavailable to the Music app after I migrate them to an external drive

Monterey, an older 27-inch iMac.

I moved my whole music library to an external drive. When I try to play a track from that drive, I get the message "could not be used because the original file could not be found". Obviously the first thing I did in Music was to change the place the application looks for files. Change was accepted, but Music still throws up that message every time, even though Get Info reports that the file location data is correct.

Also, another user has posted an AppleScript that can be used to change the data for any files where it didn't take. Thank you, Steve; looks great. However, having installed the script where it's supposed to go, Music was supposed to gain another menu in the menu bar so you can run scripts. Didn't work.

Is there some black art to get this stuff to work? TIA.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on May 8, 2024 10:25 AM

1 reply

May 8, 2024 1:20 PM in response to officewallah

The message "could not be used because the original file could not be found". "

It sounds like the underlying music file did not not get transferred over.

There are hidden files as I recall you need to find in the music folder to move.

I have not used Monterey. I think I jump over it.

Here is another discussion to look at that may help.

How to make MacOS Monterrey Music use hom… - Apple Community

Music files become unavailable to the Music app after I migrate them to an external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.