Macbook won't make storage room even though i'm steady deleting files and won't let me safe boot.

Hi, I'm extremely frustrated and ****** at this so-far-unsolvable situation. I've been deleting endless many heavy files on my macbook and it still says that I only have 40 mb room left. They tell me I should reboot in safe mode, and I follow every single step I found online (restart, press shift, etc) and nothing happens, I simply can't reboot in safe mode. I'm bound to throw this POS out the window if this persists, since it doesn't even let me stay signed in on websites without memory space, let alone create new files. I have a MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

MacBook, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 8, 2024 11:37 AM

1 reply

May 8, 2024 12:12 PM in response to gsean

gsean wrote:

(restart, press shift, etc) and nothing happens

You followed these instructions, right?

If you're using a Mac with Apple silicon

1. Shut down your Mac.
      2. Press and hold the power button on your Mac. As you continue to hold the power button, your Mac turns on and loads startup options. When you see Options, release the power button.
      3. Select your startup disk. It's named Macintosh HD, unless you changed its name.
      4. Press and hold the Shift key, then click the “Continue in Safe Mode” button below your startup disk.
      5. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Macbook won't make storage room even though i'm steady deleting files and won't let me safe boot.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.