STILL cannot multi-select text...

Per this thread (couldn't find a way to reply under it, so I'm kind of bumping it into relevancy - Can't multi select text - Apple Community), I cannot hold 'Command + Mouse Click & Drag' to select non-consecutive lines of text and maintain all of the text as highlighted.

I never noticed this as a problem personally, because I was still operating on Big Sur and recently I had reason to update to Sonoma and I joined the gang of people experiencing this issue. I cannot use this 'multi-select' text function in the Notes app or TextEdit. This is making my studying very unproductive to have to highlight and specify sections with color individually.

I'm also wondering if anyone has any ideas on making one's own workaround of just editing some changes within Terminal. I'm just beginning to get into programming so while this is a problem I'm motivated to figure out on my own, I do have to prioritize learning some other programming skills at the moment (e.g. Data Engineering) to help me make a living (lol) and then I can figure stuff out like this in my recreational time.

In the meantime, I figured I'd hit the forums and see if any one in the community has figured a workaround or if Apple themselves will change their mind and decide to help us with this... pretty basic text feature and I'm not sure what differed between Sonoma and Big Sur, but whatever allows this feature to work is probably missing in Sonoma or maybe the new update conflicts with allowing this feature to work. Help, anyone?

iMac 27″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 8, 2024 12:08 PM

1 reply

STILL cannot multi-select text...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.