Display Connectivity Problems with Sonoma on Macbook M1

After upgrading my (work) macbook M1 to Sonoma,

I have been experiencing daily issues with connecting two monitors.

It's extremely sensitive to the order in which the monitors are connected (I use one HDMI and the other via USB-C), and, if not disconnected, the computer can start endless loops of connecting and reconnecting the monitor(s).

It seems to be related to power management somehow, as the USB-C connection is also used to supply power to my Mac.

I've also noticed that the left side, nearest USB-C somehow has less issues than the other other ports, and is my last resort when all else fails.

This problem did not occur before upgrading to Sonoma,

and virtually everyone in our SW team (team of 10) is experiencing the same wonkiness ever since we upgraded to Sonoma.

Any insights, or can Apple please fix this.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.3

Posted on May 8, 2024 1:16 PM

3 replies

May 8, 2024 1:52 PM in response to laruellef

About 3 feet sounds like 'too-long cables' are not the source of the issues you are encountering.

By far the easiest way to cause poor performance, instability, overheating and crashing is to install ANY third-party speeder-uppers, Cleaners, Optimizers, or Virus scanners, Bit-Torrent, or a VPN that you installed yourself. The main reason is that they are relentless in scanning your files, non-stop, looking for virus-like patterns in Everything, or looking for files that have changed. When completed, they do it all again.

Display Connectivity Problems with Sonoma on Macbook M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.