Bluetooth visibility issue between iPhone 12 and MacBook Pro for Airdrop

There are many threads about this subject, but they all seem to end in dev/null with no answer -- so I try again:

My setting:

-iPhone 12, latest software, 17.4.1

-MacBook Pro, M1, latest software, 14.4.1

-Rebooted several times

-Toggled BT and WiFi several times

-Airdrop set to Everyone. Also tried Contacts Only.

-I see my Mac icon from my phone and my phone icon from my Mac for Airdrop

-I can drop from my Mac to my phone or anybody else's device. So, out from Mac OK!

-I cannot drop from my Phone to my Mac; and nobody else can drop either; it says "Waiting..." for about 30 seconds and then says "Failed". So, into my Mac NOK!

-my firewall is not on

-same problem regardless of the network (i.e. Work, School and home ...)

-if I open Bluetooth settings on my Mac, it says "no Bluetooth devices" under My Devices and "Searching" under Nearby devices. I don't know if my phone should be visible there .....

Worked earlier. I stopped working a few months ago.

Any ideas? All help would be greatly appreciated.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.7

Posted on May 8, 2024 2:04 PM

2 replies

May 8, 2024 5:25 PM in response to lexingtonian

lexingtonian wrote:

There are many threads about this subject, but they all seem to end in dev/null with no answer -- so I try again:

My setting:
-iPhone 12, latest software, 17.4.1
-MacBook Pro, M1, latest software, 14.4.1
-Rebooted several times
-Toggled BT and WiFi several times
-Airdrop set to Everyone. Also tried Contacts Only.

-I see my Mac icon from my phone and my phone icon from my Mac for Airdrop
-I can drop from my Mac to my phone or anybody else's device. So, out from Mac OK!
-I cannot drop from my Phone to my Mac; and nobody else can drop either; it says "Waiting..." for about 30 seconds and then says "Failed". So, into my Mac NOK!
-my firewall is not on
-same problem regardless of the network (i.e. Work, School and home ...)
-if I open Bluetooth settings on my Mac, it says "no Bluetooth devices" under My Devices and "Searching" under Nearby devices. I don't know if my phone should be visible there .....

Worked earlier. I stopped working a few months ago.

Any ideas? All help would be greatly appreciated.

Airdrop has always been finicky... if you never had an issue here before you're lucky.

I have noticed lately I am having to try again and again to get something to sent... for example.

You can verify your software is u[p to date, other wise you covered the bases, ie restarting all devices.

The current stable release of Sonoma including bug fixes, security updates is macOS 14.4.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

The current stable release of iOS including bug fixes, security updates is iOS 17.4.1

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Maybe when 14.5 is released it will sort the current issue...

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Bluetooth visibility issue between iPhone 12 and MacBook Pro for Airdrop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.