Which Pin Printers are reliable with macOS Sonoma?

I tried to find information concerning currently available pin printers, mainly Epson, working reliably with present versions of macOS - however I was rather unsuccessful.

I would be very happy if anyone could share first hand information with me. I really only need it to print prescriptions DIN A6.

I still have an old 1990ties Oki 390 which would do the job - but using a simple usb to parallel converter of a friend did (as expected) not work. In case someone has advice how to use this printer it would work for me as well.

Thank you very much!

Leif

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 8, 2024 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2024 1:54 PM

John Galt mentioned using a Windows PC as a print server.

Alternatively, a Raspberry Pi variant, as described by Techguyuk?

Can’t print with iPadOS17 - Apple Community

For example, https://www.openprinting.org/printer/Oki/Oki-ML_380 (and similar pages at https://www.openprinting.org/printers/) could perhaps also be of some interest in this context.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2024 1:54 PM in response to leif_hommers

John Galt mentioned using a Windows PC as a print server.

Alternatively, a Raspberry Pi variant, as described by Techguyuk?

Can’t print with iPadOS17 - Apple Community

For example, https://www.openprinting.org/printer/Oki/Oki-ML_380 (and similar pages at https://www.openprinting.org/printers/) could perhaps also be of some interest in this context.

May 13, 2024 4:58 AM in response to leif_hommers

Do you have, or can you obtain, an older Mac capable of running macOS "Catalina" or earlier? If so you can use it as an overpriced print server for the Apple ImageWriter line of printers. That dedicated print server Mac can "share" that printer with Macs running any macOS version up to and including the latest so that you can print anything from anywhere.

You will need to obtain an ImageWriter on the used market but they are available if you look hard enough, sometimes at the very attractive price of free.

There may be equivalent workarounds for the Oki 390 but you will need to find a driver that works with OS X and can be installed on the Catalina (or earlier) print server. I do not have a source.

Using a Windows PC running Windows XP might be another option. For a time, that's what I used also. There were ImageWriter print drivers available for Windows XP but that was over 20 years ago and I no longer recall the specific details. If you can find an Okidata driver for XP and enable printer sharing on that Windows PC, that would be the way to go.

Read Apple ImageWriter printer installation in OS X - Apple Community for details.

May 14, 2024 11:45 AM in response to leif_hommers

The only devices that will work, without workarounds, will be AirPrint devices: About AirPrint - Apple Support.

I can't find the Epson LQ-780N on that list, Epson's support page does not indicate any macOS drivers, and that printer's specifications are completely silent regarding any Mac support whatsoever. If Epson has a printer driver for Sonoma I can't find one.

It looks like a good printer though, and if you are willing to dedicate a Windows PC as a print server, that might not be a bad idea. This assumes Windows incorporates printer sharing features analogous to Macs.

May 12, 2024 9:35 AM in response to leif_hommers

Gimp-Print/Gutenprint is an open source printing standard that can be added to Sonoma.

Tripp-Lite took over the Keyspan Adapters from USB-Parallel.

How you would make them work together for such an old printer is unknown, but that's a start. Some Air-Print compatible printer drivers exist for older printers as well. As it stands Okidata doesn't even have support under Windows since the last drivers they made for that printer were under Windows XP.

May 19, 2024 11:16 AM in response to John Galt

>We will still need a driver though, correct?

I have not yet tested the Raspberry Pi print server idea suggested by Techguyuk (link above). The server makes use of CUPS, as you also indicated. Linux drivers can be found, for instance, via openprinting.org (see the above Oki ML 380 example), Gutenprint, or from a printer manufacturer. An appropriate USB-to-parallel adapter ought to make a USB connection possible for printers with a parallel port only. The printer connection to the Raspberry Pi print server would be via USB. Depending upon the exact Raspberry Pi model, a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (Wi-Fi) network connection could then be used.

May 16, 2024 1:33 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you, John!

While I understand that printers on the list will work via wifi flawlessly, I am wondering why there is an Epson and Oki 9/24 pin driver available to choose in the printer setting of macOS. Doesn’t that hint at a good chance of making an Epson LQ780 etc. run out of the box?

I am getting curious to buy one and check … and return it if not.

May 16, 2024 4:44 PM in response to leif_hommers

Yes! I was unaware of that choice though. Did it appear in a dropdown menu? Did you have to download anything first? If so where did you find it?

The only thing I found on Epson's website was some kind of network utility. I did not get the impression it contained an installable driver.

Like you I'd need to buy a printer to find out. I'm looking forward to what you determine.

May 17, 2024 10:42 PM in response to John Galt

It is drop-down and nothing to download. I tried it with both Epson and Oki driver for the oki 390 without success though.

As I might not necessarily need LAN, I am inclined to get the LQ630 since I have very low volume printing. However it appears to be older and a gut feeling suggests the 780 with LAN might be more recent and better supported.

May 19, 2024 8:42 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

A Raspberry Pi as an AirPrint printer server is a splendid idea. Much more so than a Windows PC.

We will still need a driver though, correct? As I recall I found a Windows XP driver for the ImageWriter but it's been so long and I used it so briefly that I can't be sure.

That driver would be selected in the CUPS web interface. If the OP gets that far things look promising.

Which Pin Printers are reliable with macOS Sonoma?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.