Need Help With My Effect making 3D objects Clip Through One Another

Hello There,

I hope all is going well with you!

I'm working on a project in Motion with 3D models, but I'm having issues preventing the objects from clipping into one another. I have a disco ball and a pair of funny glasses rotating on the Y-axis in 2D mode. I have the models in the position I want, but when I apply any filter, specifically: Prism, Stroke, and Aura, the glasses will clip through the ball. If I turn off the effects, then it won't clip, but I want/need these filters. Is there any workaround for this, or something that I'm missing?

Sincerest

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on May 8, 2024 5:13 PM

1 reply

May 8, 2024 8:24 PM in response to ShotTheShot2220

Filters "rasterize" (flatten) 3D, both models and text.

The solution is not perfect and you may not like it, but based on your screenshot, you have the disco and groucho glasses in the same group. You have discovered that Prism Stroke and Aura change the 3d objects into flattened **layer ordered** layers.

The way around this is to Clone the Disco Ball Group and apply the Filters to the Clone. The Clone layer will behave as a "projection screen" for your animation (it must remain "flat" with respect to the camera!)

Turn off the Disco Ball group but animate it in 3D space.

Here's a comparable example I threw together using the Golf Ball and a Cone (from the Motion Library content):

And here's the result of the animation:

HTH

Need Help With My Effect making 3D objects Clip Through One Another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.