Turn auto delete conversations off

I accidentally turned “auto delete conversations” on. How do I continue to keep my messages

iPhone 8, iOS 16

Posted on May 8, 2024 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2024 5:54 PM

ShaBon123 wrote:

I accidentally turned “auto delete conversations” on. How do I continue to keep my messages

Hello, ShaBon123

I have attached an Apple article as well as some steps that will help you resolve this issue.

These steps will help you disable the feature of deleting old messages:

1. Go to Settings > Messages.
  2. Scroll down, tap Keep Messages (below Message History), then choose "Forever".

If you need further assistance, this Apple article will help: Delete messages and attachments on iPhone – Apple Support

Important: If you choose an option other than Forever, your conversations (including all attachments) are automatically removed after the specified time period elapses.

If you use Messages in iCloud, deleting a message or conversation on your iPhone deletes it from all your devices where Messages in iCloud is on. See Keep your messages up to date with iCloud in the iCloud User Guide.

Deleting messages only affects your iPhone and other devices. You can’t delete messages, attachments, and conversations for anyone else.

Take care

[Edited by Moderator]

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2024 5:54 PM in response to ShaBon123

ShaBon123 wrote:

Hello, ShaBon123

I have attached an Apple article as well as some steps that will help you resolve this issue.

These steps will help you disable the feature of deleting old messages:

1. Go to Settings > Messages.
  2. Scroll down, tap Keep Messages (below Message History), then choose "Forever".

If you need further assistance, this Apple article will help: Delete messages and attachments on iPhone – Apple Support

Important: If you choose an option other than Forever, your conversations (including all attachments) are automatically removed after the specified time period elapses.

If you use Messages in iCloud, deleting a message or conversation on your iPhone deletes it from all your devices where Messages in iCloud is on. See Keep your messages up to date with iCloud in the iCloud User Guide.

Deleting messages only affects your iPhone and other devices. You can’t delete messages, attachments, and conversations for anyone else.

Take care

[Edited by Moderator]

Turn auto delete conversations off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.