Highlight rectangle mistakenly created, how to remove?

I don't know exactly the flow that made it happen.

Some kind of mouse key clicks and drag, not an apple mouse, a regular 3 button mouse.

The symptoms:

1. the rectangle is transparent and has a black border.
  2. It remains on the screen even if minimizing the applications.
  3. When it's there the dock does not respond to mouse clicks, but it does the hovering animation.
  4. It went away after reboot yesterday, but I can't reboot every time it appears.

How can I remove it, and disable whatever function that created it?

May be relevant:

I'm using a Dell dock with 2 monitors (display link manager is on for this), one with display port and the other HDMI, unplugging and replugging the dock does not help.

Thanks,

Omer.

Posted on May 8, 2024 5:58 PM

3 replies

May 9, 2024 8:47 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hi Luis, thanks for replying.

It started while using Intellij, but when I bring other windows on top of Intellij, the rectangle is still there.

Same if I minimize all, the rectangle is on top of the desktop background.

It's in a fixed place, if I drag the application, the rectangle remains in its spot.

Command Z does not work, I tried it, it just reverted the last action I did on intellij, not the rectangle.

An update about this behavior:

I used my Mac yesterday unplugged from the Dell dock, and the rectangle wasn't there.

When I plugged it back to the dock at work today, the rectangle returned, but in a different spot than yesterday, and the dock no works, so I guess that's a work around.

I suspect it has something to do with the displaylink manager I'm using for connecting dual displays, I never saw this with only one external display.

Thanks.

Highlight rectangle mistakenly created, how to remove?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.