Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

reference mode on newest iPads

Hi, I would like to ask if there is available the reference mode on new iPad Pro 11? I found that on iPad Pro with M2 there is reference mode available only on the 13 inch model but I did not find that information about the newest models.

Posted on May 9, 2024 2:25 AM

3 replies

May 9, 2024 2:45 AM in response to tomashoracek

The Reference mode was previously only available for the M1/M2 12.9" models of iPad Pro - principally because this feature was only available to iPad Pro models that were equipped with the miniLED backlit display; the 11" models of iPad Pro used a conventional LCD IPS display panel.

Insofar as information for the new 2024 models of iPad Pro is currently available, there is no reason to believe that Reference Mode won't be available to all 11"/13" models of iPad Pro that feature the new Ultra Retina HDR (OLED) screen technology.

That said, until the new models start shipping to customers next week, or any explicit information that differentiates between the 11"/13" models is published by Apple, contributors here will not be able to provide a definitive answer.

May 9, 2024 3:19 AM in response to tomashoracek

Unless otherwise stated in the device specifications, there is currently no reason to suspect any functional differentiation between the 11" and 13" models. The only obvious technical differences between the new iPad Pro models are the M4 CPU itself...

Both the 11" and 13" models with 1TB or 2TB internal storage have an additional high-performance CPU core (i.e., four high-performance cores - as opposed to three).

In common with all preceding models of iPad, be aware of fundamental functional difference between WiFi+Cellular and WiFi Only models. Aside from the obvious Cellular functionality, only WiFi+Cellular models include GNSS/GPS location capabilities - which may impact any Apps or features that require accurate and consistent location data, such as Mapping. 

reference mode on newest iPads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.