Location services doesn't work on new MacBook Pro M1 Pro Sonoma

Hi everyone. I've already bought a new MacBook Pro M1 Pro. It was os Monterrey from the box. Right after activation I've updated os to the latest release version. I noticed that my time does't mach with my location. After few minutes of inspecting I understood that my location services doesn't work. I tried Find My, Maps, Google Maps in Safari, Weather. Nothing was worked. Of course I've checked all the location settings: they were turned on, all the apps I've tried had an access to location and also all the system services as well. Things I've tries to fix it:

• Restart computer
  • Restart in safe mode
  • Login with guest user
  • Switch to cellular network from iPhone Hotspot
  • Try different wi-fi spots
  • Delete and restore locationd.plist file
  • killall location services in terminal
  • Multiple computer restarts
  • Update to public beta
  • Reinstall OS
  • Reset data from settings
  • Clean OS installation with disk wipe from recovery menu

Also I want to add that I didn't use any VPN. I have good and stable internet connection. I've noticed that this is a bit spread problem but nobody can tell how to fix it. It's really sad to start to interact with a new device with this issues. Maybe somebody has some suggestions? Thanks.

P.S. Please, don't recommend me to restart a laptop or check location services setting. This was the first two things I have done. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on May 9, 2024 4:33 AM

4 replies

May 9, 2024 8:02 AM in response to Vladyslav_Karmalov

Vladyslav_Karmalov wrote:

• Hi everyone. I've already bought a new MacBook Pro M1 Pro. It was os Monterrey from the box. Right after activation I've updated os to the latest release version. I noticed that my time does't mach with my location. After few minutes of inspecting I understood that my location services doesn't work. I tried Find My, Maps, Google Maps in Safari, Weather. Nothing was worked. Of course I've checked all the location settings: they were turned on, all the apps I've tried had an access to location and also all the system services as well. Things I've tries to fix it:
Restart computer
• Restart in safe mode
• Login with guest user
• Switch to cellular network from iPhone Hotspot
• Try different wi-fi spots
• Delete and restore locationd.plist file
• killall location services in terminal
• Multiple computer restarts
• Update to public beta
• Reinstall OS
• Reset data from settings
• Clean OS installation with disk wipe from recovery menu

Also I want to add that I didn't use any VPN. I have good and stable internet connection. I've noticed that this is a bit spread problem but nobody can tell how to fix it. It's really sad to start to interact with a new device with this issues. Maybe somebody has some suggestions? Thanks.

P.S. Please, don't recommend me to restart a laptop or check location services setting. This was the first two things I have done. Thanks.

If you uncheck "Automatically" allows you the option to set it manually— no harm there. Do what works.

verify your software is up to date…

The current stable release of Sonoma including bug fixes, security updates is macOS 14.4.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

no resolve—from the Terminal.app copy & paste:

sudo rm /var/db/timed/com.apple.timed.plist

this will remove /rebuild the plist. reboot and compare your results

(note—your psswd will not echo on screen, type it in anyway use the enter\return key to proceed.)

May 9, 2024 8:28 AM in response to Vladyslav_Karmalov

Vladyslav_Karmalov wrote:

Thanks for your reply. All of this things were already done. No result. The problem is not only with timezone updates but with location services in general. Of course I have the latest stable release os version.

We can not support beta in these support communities re: " Update to public beta"

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line  https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call  AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support 

Location services doesn't work on new MacBook Pro M1 Pro Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.