My iPhone was stolen, could my Apple ID be compromised?

I’ll make it quick. My old Iphone was stolen 5 days ago, it’s on me I forgot to lock car after bringing shopping in.

it’s been off for a week so no chance to erase and now it’s just pending.

only has 6 digit code. I know they are considered hard to crack but there are always ways. Not jail broken but could easily be cased at my house for info plus the passcode was the last thing I probably did on it so the finger prints would be easy to see.

reason I think it’s hacked is last night it suddenly wasn’t tracking the last known location it simply said location not found. Also my AirTags went away then came back a few minutes later. I had changed my Apple ID and password but not sure if there is ways around that.

no dodgy messages yet but then they might not have if they have access to my phone. I’ve changed all my email and banking passwords and signed of of as many sessions as possible.

phone still is in my my iCloud marked as pending erase so they couldn’t delete it at least.

questions are does the AirTag issue seem like they signed out of my iPhone and they got deleted but restored by my new phone?

does the fact I still have it on my cloud mean it can’t be reactivated?

got that sinking feeling but will just have to deal with the consequences.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 9, 2024 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2024 10:26 AM

The last known location will usually fall off after 24 hours if the phone is powered off. Since you use a Passcode and had Find my Enabled, whoever is in possession of the phone cannot hack into it. While you'll likely never see the phone again, do NOT remove the phone from your account as that will allow whoever has it to erase it to use or sell it. Contact your carrier and ask them to Blacklist the phone, further making it impossible for it to connect to any network.

And be prepared for possible messages, which may appear to come from Apple (but Apple NEVER sends such messages) asking you to confirm the phone is yours by entering your credentials, which will let them ultimately erase the phone. And if that doesn't work, they may resort to threats, which you should ignore completely.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2024 10:26 AM in response to Blindedbyvoices

The last known location will usually fall off after 24 hours if the phone is powered off. Since you use a Passcode and had Find my Enabled, whoever is in possession of the phone cannot hack into it. While you'll likely never see the phone again, do NOT remove the phone from your account as that will allow whoever has it to erase it to use or sell it. Contact your carrier and ask them to Blacklist the phone, further making it impossible for it to connect to any network.

And be prepared for possible messages, which may appear to come from Apple (but Apple NEVER sends such messages) asking you to confirm the phone is yours by entering your credentials, which will let them ultimately erase the phone. And if that doesn't work, they may resort to threats, which you should ignore completely.

May 9, 2024 6:06 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Im pretty sure they the hacker has got into my phone. One of my Google accounts is compromised now. My reset email was deleted by an unidentified device (I assume my stolen iPhone) and some other person keeps requesting a reset code. I’ve managed to reset as many passwords as possible and I don’t think they got into my iCloud and I still have control of it. I’ve also managed to secure my bank accounts as they were already deactivated from that device anyway.

I assume blackmail is handled in the same way. ignore and contact the authorities.

any other advice?

My iPhone was stolen, could my Apple ID be compromised?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.