Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Yep, another array question

I am sorry for rehashing this tired topic. I have been trying to simplify creation of multiple score sheets by referencing a table that contains all of my data and creating new tables. I have a method that works but since I am dealing with over 50 teams of five members each, the formulas are getting ridiculously large and any modifications are excruciatingly painful. I really want to be able to keep it small but simple.

This is a sample of my main data table/sheet:

Based on the team number in "Table 1" I need to automagically add the proper "Class" and "Name" from table "Roster" that match the "Team" number. Most everything I have tried will only give me the first item that matches the team number from "Roster" so I am left with this:

when what I really want is this:

I have tried the INDEX() function multiple ways with no resolution and I believe it's because I cannot get the data out of "Roster" into an array. I experimented with UNION.RANGES() and this will work with INDEX() but then I have to change the INDEX "row-index" manually for each "Name" and "Class" (I also cannot figure out how to get UNION.RANGES() to make the proper selection based on the "Team" column).

The order of the data in "Roster" cannot be changed so no sorting can be done.

My score sheet would then be a template that I could paste in any sheet and the only item I would need to change is the "Team" number to get it to update.

Any help that anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 9, 2024 1:29 PM

3 replies

May 9, 2024 3:41 PM in response to port43

There are several ways to do what you want. The closest to what you are trying to do would be to use MATCH to find the row number of the first person on the team then use INDEX to get data from that row. The next row number will be the previous row +1. Use INDEX to get that person's info. And so on. You said each team has exactly 5 members so it takes five rows and no need to check anything (i.e., all 5 are guaranteed to be from the correct team).

I did not completely duplicate your table so you'll have to adjust the formulas some.

E6 =MATCH(B6,Roster::B,0)

E7 =E6+1

Fill down from there

C6 =INDEX(Roster::C,E6)

D6 =INDEX(Roster::D,E6)

Fill down with both

Hide column E

Yep, another array question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.