Project with Multicam (3 cameras) File All Proxy

New Library, left original files in place. Created proxy media only at H.264 of frame size 960X540 (I figured this was sufficient to work with quickly before sharing to higher resolution of 1080p). Created multicam clip using files from 2 cams at 4K (iPhones) and one video cam at 1080p. Created Project at 1080p that consists only of the multicam clip. All went well using only proxy media until I tried to share and got message of "This project is currently set to use proxy media". Following directions, I attempted to select 'Optimized/Original' media in viewer's view menu, but see only "missing file" icons in project's timeline. Tried everything (I think) to link to original media (recall original files left in place) but to no avail. I'm probably missing something basic! Please help...thank you!

Mac mini (M2, 2023)

Posted on May 9, 2024 7:26 PM

13 replies

May 9, 2024 8:53 PM in response to terryb

Hello and thank you so much for a rapid response! In answer to your questions:

1. No, I had selected in 'Settings' "Create Proxy Media" from the start upon import.
  2. Clips are Missing/Offline also.
  3. With the radio button "Missing" selected, no files show. Only with "All" is selected are the files listed.

May 10, 2024 8:50 AM in response to RDAmb

Created proxy media only at H.264 of frame size 960X540

I doubt you really created the proxy on load.🤔 Once you've created a proxy, the project remembers where it's stored so you can always see it. The second screenshot shows "missing files" and not "missing proxies".

File not found

Proxy not found

If you have indeed generated a proxy, it is usually located below. Please show me a screenshot

Right-click inside the library to open it →Event →Transcoded Media: Proxy Media: XX.mov

May 9, 2024 8:17 PM in response to RDAmb

Were the proxies created from within FCP after you imported the footage into the library?

When you switch to Optimized/Original, do the original clips appear in the browser or are they Missing/Offline also?

Select the library in the sidebar and choose File->Relink Files and then choose Missing. Select one of the missing files and it should show at the bottom where it remembers the last location of that file was.

May 9, 2024 9:57 PM in response to RDAmb

An easy thing to try if FCP behaves strangely is to delete the Settings. Hold Command and Option and launch FCP. Click Delete Preferences. FCP will open the default Untitled library. Reopen the library you were working in, set your Preferences back to the way you like (disable background rendering, etc.) and see if the issue has been resolved.

May 10, 2024 12:47 AM in response to RDAmb

RDAmb wrote:

1. Hello and thank you so much for a rapid response! In answer to your questions:
No, I had selected in 'Settings' "Create Proxy Media" from the start upon import.
2. Clips are Missing/Offline also.
3. With the radio button "Missing" selected, no files show. Only with "All" is selected are the files listed.

And relinking does not work? Have you accidentally deleted the original files?

Select one of the missing clips in the browser, control-click, choose Reveal in Finder. What happens?

Does it take you inside the library?

When you use Leave in Place, FCP puts an alias (or symlink) in the library, pointing to the file.

"Reveal in Finder" usually follows through the alias and shows the real file. If the alias is broken, it may just show you the alias. If that is the case, where is the alias pointing to?

May 10, 2024 7:20 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hello again and thank you Luis. I'm beginning to think this is indeed some linking issue/error on my part. Original files remain (on a server). When clicking on a clip there are two 'reveal' options: 'Reveal in Finder,' and 'Reveal Proxy Media in Finder.' When selecting the former, the file (large size) on the server is shown; when selecting the latter, the file (smaller size [alias/symlink?]) is shown on a separate SSD drive where the FCP Library is located. I've left the proxy slides as is. As a test, I've copied the original files to a different location and tried to link to this newer location, but to no avail. The sizes of these original files range from 2GB to 28GB. Also tried to create 'optimized' media from the original files, but all options are greyed out, presumably because they are already optimized?

My project is not critical and I could start from scratch with a new library, selecting to include 'optimized' media on import in addition to proxy? Not sure what 'frame size' to select going forward (before was 50%). I note when selecting 'optimized' my internal 1TB drive fills up almost to the limit!

May 10, 2024 10:22 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hello and thank you.

Re-linking does not appear to do anything. Server is for general file storage, connected through a network bridge, and used by a Windows machine too. Perhaps that's the root of my issue all along?

I am most appreciative and impressed at the help suggested from several knowledgeable "heavy hitters" on an issue that, I fear, may be due to simple ignorance on my part.

From a foundational perspective and in looking at earlier issues from others about whether or not to use 'optimized' and/or 'proxy' media in the first place, I find that neither is probably necessary in my case. I'm running an M2 mini mac which (I think) should be sufficient. Only thing is that several of my original files are large (e.g. 29GB). As a test, I'm going to start afresh with a new Library (still leaving original files in place but on a different external SSD formatted exclusively for MacOS. Also no optimized or proxy media on import. I only wonder if the Project I created in the older Library from a created multicam file could be copied to the new Library and still work? I will report results...

May 10, 2024 10:31 AM in response to RDAmb

I think that you probably do not need proxy or optimized media - especially if the originals are on a directly attached SSD, which is usually very fast. You may benefit from using proxies when using a NAS, depending on the speed of the drives and the network; but optimized is NOT going to help there!

One of the benefits of keeping files in place is that libraries can be easily moved from one drive to another - they are small, and will still reference the same media, stored in the same place. So the answer to your question "could I move the library" is yes. However, just it should work fine if it did before, this won't solve any problems with missing or misplaced media.

May 10, 2024 1:18 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you Luis and all. I was originally using a slow NAS (had to askl my friend that set it up for me!) and perhaps that's the cause of all this. I've since started a Library from scratch, put original media files in the MacOS external SSD, no optimized or proxy media, and all seems fine now! What a lesson that I still am confused about, but everyone who responded has given me valuable information I will heed. Thank you all so very much!

Project with Multicam (3 cameras) File All Proxy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.