Cell doesn't display the name

When I use a formula most will show a name of the cell, but certain cells won't display a name but a cell reference eg. X2 rather than = Margin after Costs Net to

eg

License Nett +(X2×50%)

rather than

License Nett +(Margin after Costs Net to ×50%)

I can't figure out why?

"Use headers as Labels is checked on.

Can anyone help please,

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 9, 2024 10:24 PM

2 replies

May 10, 2024 5:49 AM in response to MichaelBr

When you are using the "use header names as labels" feature (which I do not care for), some cells will get "names" based on the column and row headers while others will be the normal column&row references. A few things are necessary for the cell to get a name:

1. The headers must be unique to that cell. For example, there can be only one cell in the table that has "License" as the column header and "Nett" as the row header, resulting in the name "License Nett". If there are two then no name is given to either.
  2. There seem to be some rules about what the headers can be. Text and dates are okay but numbers don't see to be.
  3. I assume there are additional reasons why a cell won't get a name but those are common ones.

If you need help with a formula, it is a lot easier to provide help if "use header names as labels" is off.

Cell doesn't display the name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.