Password double typing

Hi,

I purchased a MacBook Air M1 in March 2024. For the past month, I've been experiencing an issue where characters are double-typed.

I primarily use the keychain function, which works without problems. However, when I manually enter passwords in Safari, they appear doubled. For example, typing "1234" results in "1223344."

This double-typing issue occurs under the following conditions:

1. Logging into my Apple account on the MacBook
  2. Being connected to iCloud
  3. Keychain function enabled
  4. Using Safari (Chrome works fine)
  5. Manually typing passwords

Passwords only double-type when all these conditions are met.

I contacted Apple Support a month ago, but the problem hasn't been resolved. I'm quite frustrated with this issue.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Apple Support believes it's related to my Apple account, but I suspect it might be a hardware issue.

I cannot believe Apple cannot resolve this issue for a month.

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on May 10, 2024 5:52 AM

2 replies

May 10, 2024 7:28 AM in response to Eunsam

Hi there,

I tried logging into a friend's MacBook Air M1, and still the issue occurred. -> this means it is not hardware issue. my account has problem.

BUT! If I turned off the correction in Keyboard setting, the issue disappears. (This is the weird point.)

The weird ones are following:

1. The first character is not doubling.
  2. Turn off the correction can fix the problem. (only my apple account has this problem. friend's one has no problem.)
  3. If I type the password fast, the doubling problem disappear. For example, typing "dldmstoa" very fast, the password result shows "…dmstoa" (no doubling issue). "…"is not separated. It's very weird it is replaced with unicode.
  4. With external keyboard and keyboard viewer, doubling issue still occurs.
  5. Google log-in is working properly. I think the reason is password tap is separated with ID tap.
  6. When the double-typing occurs, ESC can delete doubling. ( "122" + esc = "12" ) ESC is working like back-space.

Now I think it is related to unicode..something. Do you have any idea about this?

additionally, my friend's and my keyboard setting value is same, but only my account has this issue.

May 10, 2024 7:54 AM in response to Eunsam

OMG!!

I turned off the correction and put the below code into terminal.

defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false

and restart the macbook. It seems working properly. I will test soon and tell you the result.

Feel free to give the advice to me, if you have any idea to resolve this issue. I cannot wait AppleSupport's trouble shooting.

Password double typing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.