Trade in value question: RESTORE FAILURE?

Sent in a MacBook Air M2 8-Core CPU and 8-Core GPU 13" (Mid 2022) 256GB SSD for a trade in. Initially told $670. Got the "revised" offer today... $0.00. The reason given was RESTORE FAILURE.

Can anyone explain to me what that means? Because I have no idea. The MacBook Air worked flawlessly when I sent it in.

Posted on May 10, 2024 5:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2024 3:01 PM

Here is the remedy for “Restore Failure”:

If you can't start up from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

But this is almost certainly irrelevant in your case. Very likely, you failed to thoroughly cleanse your Mac and therefore sent in an Activation Locked Mac. Activation Lock would render the Mac useless forever.

Did you thoroughly and completely follow these directions that were included in your trade-in box? I suspect not.

What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2024 3:01 PM in response to Old_Soul_Ronin

Here is the remedy for “Restore Failure”:

If you can't start up from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

But this is almost certainly irrelevant in your case. Very likely, you failed to thoroughly cleanse your Mac and therefore sent in an Activation Locked Mac. Activation Lock would render the Mac useless forever.

Did you thoroughly and completely follow these directions that were included in your trade-in box? I suspect not.

What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

Trade in value question: RESTORE FAILURE?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.