Spotlight not able to find anything on my drive High Sierra

I am running a 2015 Macbook Air with 10.13.6 High Sierra

Suddenly Spotlight refuses to return any results from my drive, even from the applications folder.

I have tried all the obvious methods; restarting etc.

I have tried rebuilding the index through the finder (adding / removing files and even HD from privacy)

I have tried rebuilding through Terminal:

sudo mdutil -a -i off

sudo mdutil -a -I on

sudo mdutil -E

I have searched for days through communities and discussions to no avail.

If I have to think of when this started, I believe it was when I created an external bootable drive for the purposes of archive. I think that was when this began, although that drive has never been used nor connected since. Frankly I cannot see the connection?

I am now at a loss.

If anyone can please help?

Thank you

Phil

MacBook Air (2018 – 2020)

Posted on May 10, 2024 8:03 AM

3 replies

May 10, 2024 11:30 AM in response to philbone

I also wanted to find out what Spotlight was indexing and returned this... It looks like it is not even searching the Hard Drive (which is named "Mac 1TB SSD") ??

sudo mdutil -sav

Password:

/:

Indexing enabled.

/Volumes/PC Partition:

Indexing enabled.

Scan base time: 2024-05-10 14:39:49 +0000 (13640 seconds ago), reasoning: 'ScanAvoided'

/Volumes/Phil MBA Time Machine Backup:

Indexing and searching disabled.

/Volumes/Time Machine Backups:

Indexing and searching disabled.

/Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb:

Indexing enabled.

Scan base time: 1970-01-01 00:00:01 +0000 (1715365628 seconds ago), reasoning: 'Not set'

/Volumes/com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots/Backups.backupdb/Phil’s MacBook Air/2024-05-10-080307/Mac 1TB SSD:

Index is read-only.

Spotlight not able to find anything on my drive High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.