Backing up my iPhone Photos to a Local Machine instead of the Cloud

Hello Apple Community,

I have recently changed the way I save and back up my data and I've transitioned everything I do now on my computer to always saving locally on the system instead of always saving to the cloud because I now prefer to save my files locally. The thing I haven't exactly transitioned over to my new backup strategy is my photos on my iPhone. I used to use Microsoft's OneDrive to automatically back up my photos to the cloud and it worked very well but this doesn't work for me anymore. I've been using Dropbox for about 3 weeks now trying to not use OneDrive Backup and setting Dropbox to just have the newest photos on my iPhone backed up to my computer and deleting the photos from Dropbox once I've finished backing them up. It's not very convenient as I'm still tied to a cloud service for my photos.

I also always organise my photos so the idea of transferring everything from my iPhone to my computer and trying to see what photos I do and don't have on my PC is a big pain. Is there a better way to back up my photos locally? Thank you.

Windows, Windows 11 (22631)

Posted on May 11, 2024 12:48 PM

4 replies

May 13, 2024 9:05 AM in response to Servant of Cats

I found that article very helpful and I've started using the macOS Photos App as I also have a Mac and find it to be a lot better than the Windows Photos App which seems to display some of my photos incorrectly by flipping them the wrong way round and the photos not showing in the right order from Oldest to Newest. Thank you very much. 😊

Backing up my iPhone Photos to a Local Machine instead of the Cloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.